​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spey Dam / Craithie bridge?

Hi Paul,

I researched a route on this side of the Spey a few years back (although I didn't actually use it in the end).

The structure in the picture is not a bridge. I think it's called a "fish heck" (a barrier to discourage salmon migration up the burn). Basically it is two rows of steel I girders driven into the stream bed with wooden planks fixed either side. After the winter snow-melt it gets a lot of debris on it.

I didn't like the look of it, myself.

That's a much better picture, thanks Phil! I think I'll be walking on the other side of the river ....

That pic came from the website of the Spey Fishery Board (http://www.speyfisheryboard.com/). Out of curiosity I did a Google search and turned up what seems to be a more recent picture on the fishery board site:

That wouldn't be a new bridge in the background, would it?

Could it?

Might be worth asking! Hope it is a new bridge. That fish barrier looks WELL dodgy in spate.

Most impressed! Like Photoshop only better! It looks like a paved road goes over the new bridge. Thank you ...

I crossed on or near that structure many years ago. Clearly without trauma, as I can't recall any problem. It was likely that the stream was very shallow at the time. There was a clunking great "temporary" road constructed along the line of the pylons for the Beauly-Denny desecration. The bridge might be part of that.