​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Deeside Way Accommodation?

No, but just a suggestion...Laura and I walked a stretch then caught the bus back to our accommodation and returned by bus in the morning (full pack carried at all times as it was a last minute/on the hoof decision) you could do something similar? We weren't the only ones on that bus...

I'm with Louise on this. It's a good service, pretty much hourly.

Jeremy

I live between Aberdeen and Peterculter (our house backs onto the Deeside Way) and that would be a very short day. It takes me about one and a quarter hours to walk to the start of the Deeside Way in Aberdeen and 45 minutes to go the other way to Peterculter. Better, I think, to do Aberdeen - Banchory then Banchory to Aboyne, finishing with a short day to Ballater, stopping in Dinnet for lunch.

Plenty accommodation in Banchory and probably in Aboyne (eat in the Boat Inn).

If you want to stay in Peterculter, I know that Furain Guest House (http://www.furain.co.uk/) is well thought of but I know very little about it. I can confirm that the Old Mill at Maryculter has closed - but I was a pretty grim place.

Get back to me if you need any more information.

Ian -

Thank you.

I always wanted to have a short first day. The idea is to take the camper van to Ballater and book a pitch for the whole time we will be walking; we will then take a bus into Aberdeen on the first walking day, so we'll be starting reasonably late.

My wife is not a long-distance walker like us, and this will be her first taste of stringing walks of any great distance together back-to-back; so I want an easy first day to help her get "walked in".

Many thanks to all for your comments and contributions.

Jeremy

If you were asked to write the next question to be answered at the bottom of people's posts, what would it be?

As people have said, the bus service is not bad - there is an hourly service to Ballater and I have found it to be quite reliable. I'd recommend the cafe at Milton of Crathes for coffee and scones.

I'm in Banchory and echo Ian's thoughts and suggestions.