​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Possible Route south side of Loch Morar

I went there from a Morar start in 2013.

The clouds were low, and my navigation went spectacularly awry. I ended up pitching my tent in an I-don't-have-a-clue-where-I-am location and hoping the visibility would be better in the morning, to enable me to figure out where the devil I was. It wasn't. It was worse. I ended up cutting and running, following a glen (I'd even misidentified THAT!) down to the road and making my way to Lochailort. Just as well I did, as I had a recurrence of some medical symptoms that evening which I would NOT have wished to suffer stuck in a tent up on a lonely hillside. Great difficulty the next morning trying to explain to the lovely people at the Lochailort Inn that yes, I was on the Challenge but no, I did not need to sign their register because I had already signed the one in Morar

This experience bugged me, so I went back later in the year with a GPS to check on a few locations. My conclusion was that the OS surveyors did not have their finest hour up here. Some of the detail on your map is egregiously wrong (a 70 - 80 metre rock pillar which is depicted on the map by a single ring contour being one of the most striking examples!). I suspect that all attempts at stereoscopic aerial surveying have been bedevilled by poor visibility, so they have just carried forward the detail from earlier editions. And I further suspect that the original surveyors thought "Ah **** it! The only people who come up here are the keepers who know the way without a map anyway; nobody else cares; so let's just stick something down on this bit of paper and get away from these ****** midges".

HOWEVER ... having been up there twice now, I CAN confirm that, on a day when you can see what's going on around you, it is a rather beautiful place to be, and I have a lovely night camped by the shores of the little lochan with the island in it.

e-mail me for more details of where I went and what I did, or you can find it written up on my blog Two Routes Across Scotland.

Many thanks all for the advice I have decided to give it a go will post how I get on nothing lose apart from getting a bit wet.

In that case, Robert, you need to know that when you get to the woods above Scamadale, you will encounter what appears to be a solid wall of trees with no apparent way through it.

You need to go to the RIGHT, and you will find a track through.

If, instead, you choose to go left - well, good luck with the deer fence, mate!

Cheers for that info will come in handy.

Robert , rely on no information except that of vetters ( and your judgement ) . There are some who may adjust it, to suit there ends . As an afterthought can i say i looked at S.Sd Morar and went Knoydart and ran into a nil visibility . on the Saturday start . I worked my way out of it but not easily! . Just a thought for info .

William.

Which bit of

"THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD"

did you not read or understand?

Cuddly, Fluffy, Al.
(who is not a vetter - so you obviously will not heed this playful nudge)

I understand that the Sth Sde of Loch Morar is a challenge and have tried to point out the problems of dealing with the issue . Mr Sloman may digress for some reason , his post has no input to my help . This site is not suitable for issues between him and i , he should not reply to my post directly unless he is better informed .

Slur that one past me again, eh, Bill?

I'm not sure the intended invective got through coherently!

Modest, wonderful, truly understanding,trifficly eminently knowledgable, extremely hard working yet under-valued, diplomatic, seasoned, distinguished, have I mention modest yet?,generous, witty, inspirational, sympathetic, worldly, fun, empathetic even quite oustanding modestly magnificent, but definately, definately NOT encyclopaedic!!- Bill yes I'm obviously talking of your average vetter. It takes all to make a Challenge so ladies, please,please its Christmas- the time of peace and harmony and goodwill, ho bl....y ho, even for the most waring of Challengers....

A very Happy Christmas and a safe and prosperous 2015 to all our readers out there.

william howden
Robert , rely on no information except that of vetters ( and your judgement ).

Yours is an interesting take on the role of the vetters, Willy ... but I'm not sure it is one the vetters themselves would share.

They have enough work on their hands as it is, without being cast in the role of sole reliable dispensers of information.

My own attitude to route planning (which is a personal view, not necessarily shared by anybody else ... although I suspect it is) is that one should gather one's information where one can, and make one's own assessment of the reliability of the information provider and the weight to be attached to it.

I like to call this process "research".

Jeremy. I think that's a useful piece of advice
to would be Challengers. Vetters will soon be
asked for a route sheet. Cheers.

Waldo
Vetters will soon be
asked for a route sheet.

Do you mean I could have got vetters to plan all my routes?

Oh... No..

I have been spending hours on this for years.

Now, about the Sherpa service for my clothes and stuff!

Andrew. Would you like to clarify/quantify ,just how many routes
you have prepared and submitted 'alone'.How many 'alone'crossings came
a result of your efforts.Would preprepared routes be acceptable to
todays Challengers. Wouldn't need/have vetter's last minute panic. Cheers.