​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: camping

Hi you two, cross over the river by the bridge adjacent to the hotel and there is loads of space to camp within a few hundred yards. hope you are well, and look forward to seeing you next year,best wishes,Russ

The climbers pub at the back of the hotel used to be superb and absolutely not posh 17 years ago (and within staggering distance of my wildcamp near the river). I hope they haven't upgraded the pub.

I wouldn't camp near the Kingshouse,Lou, the immediate vicinity is pretty squalid with years of irresponsible camping hygiene, to put it delicately. There is a organised campsite at the Glencoe Mountain Resort nearby. ie the Ski Centre.

JD,

Great vettas minds think alike- your posting wasn't there when I pressed the button..

cj

Lou & Phylis,

Great to hear from you and to know that you are doing it next year.

But do you REALLY want to pitch beside the Kingshouse? Every time I have been through there the wild pitching area always looks grubby and awful and given the sheer number of WHW-ers wild pitching there I have always thought of the prospect of some poor person getting dengue fever or beri beri or some other dreadful, horrible disease.

I stayed in the hotel the evening before Storm Sunday a couple of years ago and it was fine with reception allowing me the use of their pc to check the forecast the next morning in the absence of TVs in the hotel.

Depending on your route plans have you thought about using the Glencoe Mountain Resort campsite with all its facilities and only a couple of kms away?

Hope to see you next year,

Colin

ps I await the onslaught of all the Kingshouse wild pitching aficionados out there in Challengeland!!!!

Hi Phyllis and Lou. It's about twenty years since I stayed at Kingshouse (inside) and it wasn't any way posh then. Given its back-of-beyond location I doubt that it would want to be over-exclusive considering the 'kerching' potential of walkers, anglers, and perhaps coach parties. That ski resort does look a healthier bet than the grubby pitch behind the building!

The Kingshouse was sold recently and they are planning a big refurbishment at this time next year. At the moment, it is business as usual although I note they are closed for 3 weeks just now. I would agree with the camping situation outside, its not the most pleasant experience, which is a shame because its a great location and a good atmosphere in there.

Lou & Phyllis
Just a thought - do you mean the Kingshouse in Glencoe or the Kingshouse at Balquhidder? Sometimes people arrive at the wrong hotel. On looking at website for Balquhidder one, it seems it might have been done up and changed its name, so wondered if that was where you were talking about? Don't know anything about that hotel or camping.