​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cougie

I had heard of Cougie when I planned my first Challenge in 2011, but had not intended to stay there. As it turned out, it was wet and miserable and my new Challenge friends, Hugh and Barbara Emsley found a tearful me on a hillside in Glen Affric, sorely in need of encouragement and comfort. They persuaded me to be sure to drop in to Cougie for a cup of tea on my way passed.
I did as I was told and found myself in the warm, dry and welcoming kitchen with a mug of tea and surrounded by Val, her family and yet more new Challenge friends. I was soon asking if I could pitch my tent for the night, and later, on over-hearing that there was a bed available in the ladies bunk room, I bagged myself a bed. Then an evening meal and a breakfast and in the end a packed lunch too! (Which Val's granddaughter ran after me with in the morning to give me when I forgot it...)Tina found a space to air my sleeping bag (well, Gayle's actually) dry some socks and my tent.

I had the most wonderful evening and fabulous meals surrounded by these most amazing people and it changed my Challenge. I have been forever grateful for that one special evening of kindness and caring.

I too would like to send my condolences to this extraordinary family and I suspect Val would be so very happy and proud that they have decided to once more open their hearts and their home to the Challenge family.

xx

Cougie has always been one of the great experiences on the Challenge. The hospitality and friendliness, the warm atmosphere, they are absolutely unique! It was so sad to hear that Val, after initial recovery, in the end succumbed to her illness. She was always there with a big smile and a big hug. She treasured the books with all the comments Challengers made over the years. And the whole family assisted in looking after the Challengers, from her little grandson, who was out on the track, telling the weary folk to go and have a cuppa at his nan's, the granddaughter (I hope she got her place at at uni to study veterinary medicine), who helped with the dinner and did not stand any nonsense from the Challengers, and Tina, who did drive over on the quad bike every day to lend a hand. We will miss Val and Stuart's and my thoughts are with this wonderful family.

Thanks for the excellent link Mr W.
A number of us were the recipients of Cougie’s legendary hospitality in 2009, although we were unable to meet Val as she was too ill. A remarkable woman, her priceless legacy is this extraordinary and idyllic way of living enjoyed by her family. Their hugely positive outlook is kept up despite such obstacles as the less-than-generous power supply company.

Thanks for the recommendation, enjoyed watching the you tube programme. I have never met Val myself but they do seem a lovely family. Good to hear too that they are carrying on in their support of the challenge.