​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bridge of Orchy to Loch Lyon

Gleann Cailliche and its Tigh nam Bodach is a special experience, and worth the detour. If the weather is bad the safest option is over Srath Tarabhan and along the south shore of Loch Lyon, track all the way.

Hi Bernie, I came this way in 2010 I think, on the Challenge I had designed as an "ancient history route". I'd met two new challengers the night before, and we set off together from Bridge of Orchy straight up to the bealach, with a view to doing one or more Munros if the weather was good......which of course it wasn't.

But despite pouring rain, Gleann na Cailliche (Glen of the Old Woman) was eminently walkable, and as mentioned above, Tigh nam Bodach (House of the Old Man) is VERY well worth finding. I expect the stone "figures" will have been set out for the summer on Beltane (1st May) as usual: I think I reported on that crossing, with photos, and I think it's on Phil Lambert's site (doodlecat.com) but if I'm wrong, you're welcome to e-mail me and I'll send info. and pictures.

More relevant to your query: despite the almost continuous rain, I don't recall any memorable fords, which I would have done if they were difficult! I do remember the Loch Lyon LRT began very close to the Tigh nam Bodach, which I trust won't get damaged as a result.....and I also remember regretting having passed, rather too early, a flat camp-able area near the beginning of the loch, and regretting having passed it because any such spots were pretty scarce along Loch Lyon.

It's a lovely walk, but I hope the weather will allow you to get up high afterwards rather than walk the whole glen of Glen Lyon, which as you know is pretty but L-O-N-G! Some nice easy Munros on its north side further east.....

In 2008 I did the same route as Jean described and I did not encounter any difficult stream crossings. Gleann Cailliche was a nice walk and the appearance of a track was a real surprise to me! This track leads via the east side of Glean Meran to the north shore of Loch Lyon.

I reached Gleann Cailliche via Coire a' Ghabhalaich by staying on about the 650 metre contour line to avoid unnecessary climbing again to reach the watershed between Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a' Chuirn.

The north shore of Loch Lyon has indeed not many places to pitch. The only place I found (and used) was at NN423421, just at the outflow of Eas Eoghannan. This is a beautiful and flat spot with room for a few tents and it has its own stone beach at the loch. I used that beach to have a very short dip in the loch, which was freezing cold, but refreshing it was! The only disadvantage of this place was that it was reasonably tick infested when I stayed there.

A few pictures of this camp spot can be found HERE

You had blue water and blue sky for your swim, Hein! Lucky you......we didn't have to swim in order to get thoroughly washed.....

Thank you all for your comments. I will be going to find the Tigh nan Bodach next year.