​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Esbit stoves

Hi.

I used mostly Esbit this year. (with 60ml of meths)I found it was lighter than using meths or gas.

I used a MYOG Cone with a modified Starlyte stove (My stove has the base of a drinks can glued to it. Inverted it makes a good esbit burning dish.

One thing I find is that Esbit can be hard to light. I overcome this by putting a tiny drop of meths on a tab - then one quick spark and it's away.
(I used less than 10ml over the 2 weeks for lighting the Esbit.- 2 to 4 times each day)

Top tip Mole.
I had a bugger of a job lighting some Esbit the other week.
Mind you it was gusting to 20 in the valley.
The Meths lit 1st time.
I shall take a wee bottle with some meths.

Hi Mark,

Like Mole I also used an alcohol/ Esbit combination this year (mainly Esbit) and I agree with pretty much everything that’s already been said so far in this thread. I’m not entirely convinced though that Esbit is significantly lighter than alcohol overall – I think it may depend on your system and precise needs.

In most conditions a full 14g tab seems a little more than I need to boil 570ml or so of water using my Caldera cone and Evernew 630ml tall pot. However, rather to my surprise, I found that 3/4 of a tab or 3 x 4g tabs won’t reliably produce a rolling boil.

On the other hand I spent some time recently trying to build an alcohol stove which would be optimal for my particular system and fuel – I use bioethanol rather than meths. I now use about 18ml of fuel to boil my 570ml which, with alcohol being only 80% of the density of water, weighs almost exactly the same as the large Esbit tab.

If your pot is larger than mine and you want to boil a bit more water then you might make better use of the full 14g tab than I do. Otherwise, you may find there’s little to choose between alcohol and Esbit on weight alone.