​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Loch Rannoch - forest tracks on south bank

I don't know about that one, but in 2011 (I think) I planned to use the one a little further West that goes behind Leagag.

Immediately off the road, it went through a field of cattle which a bull in with it.

Being the grandson of a dairy farmer, I know a bit about cattle, and knew that bulls are safe in a mixed herd as long as they don't feel threatened.

Unfortunately, there was a calf sleeping against the fence, and I couldn't follow the track without coming between it and the fence ... and THAT might make the bull feel threatened. So I retreated to the road and went that way in any event.

I don't recall clocking the path you're planning on using; but I suspect it too may have a mixed dairy herd issue. If it does, there's always the track by the river to fall back on; and if it comes to it, the road is actually not too bad as road walking goes.

Dairy bulls in England/Wales are not allowed in a field with a footpath Jeremy. Beef are not allowed if suspected concerns about the bulls behaviour to be in a field with public access.

I would be very careful nipping over a fence to a field with any bull, let alone a dairy herd bull. Life is too short as it is.

Oops - I did type "mixed dairy herd", didn't I ... I only meant to type "mixed herd". I had dairy on my mind from mentioning my grandfather!!

Not sure whether any of these paths are actually public rights of way - that information doesn't appear on Scottish maps.

My thoughts on cattle safety are much as yours - unless TOTALLY satisfied as to safety, back off. I wasn't. I did. I walked the road. (Great views of the loch ... )