​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice on rough route?

julie harle
Niels, you might also consider the Munros to the north of Loch Mullardoch giving you great views (if lucky) of Carn Eighe before carrying on down into Glen Affric and Drumnadrochit.

That's pretty much what I had in mind for my 16-day route: crossing the river Carron by the bridge at NG 048493 and taking the path over Na Meallanan Buidhe to Sgurr na Feartaig (a Corbett) and descending to an overnight stop at Bearnais Bothy (NG 021430) then heading up to the Bealach Bhearnais, over Beinn Tharsuinn (another Corbett) and Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhoir (both Munros) then East along the Meall Mor ridgs and down to Pait Lodge.

I wasn't aiming south of Loch Mullardoch, though - from Pait Lodge I was intending to get up onto the ridge North of Loch Mullardoch and do the four Munros An Socach - An Riabhachan - Sgurr na Lapaich and Carn nan Gobbhar, making a camp at Loch Tuil Bhearnach. I'm still aiming to do that ridge, actually - I'm just looking at getting onto it from Dornie via Iron Lodge, rather than Torridon via West Monar Forest.

And yes - I'm aiming for Drumnadrochit and a route through the Monadhliath to Aviemore, too ... but I shall be going through the Lairig Ghru, not over Ben Macdui.

Niels, for what you describe, you can't do much better than look at this:

Caburn Chamberlain's photo journal Torridon to Forvie Sands If you want to pack in a few Munros, this photo set is for you! I think this gives an excellent impression of a very rewarding Challenge. Absolutely superb photos there, but I reckon Caburn's route, and all those hills, will make for a pretty tough 12 days, if that's all you're allowing yourself.

There are plenty of blogs and so-on if you Google around - here are a few quick links that you might find useful.

Gayle & Mick 2011 - Strathcarron to St Cyrus 12 days.

My 2011 Challenge - Torridon to Arbroath. Not that adventurous, I'm afraid.

Gordon Green's 2009 Challenge Strathcarron to St Cyrus

Judith's Around The Hills blog for 2011 Torridon to Porthlethen.

Cheers, and happy planning!

Phil

Thank you for all the extensive replies both here and on email. Much appreciated and it has given me plenty of food for thought.

I will dig deep into the books and online ressources and see what route I come up with.

I hope to see all of you in May and have a beer with you.

Thanks

Niels

Here's the IP address of a video clip I found on You Tube with some footage of the River Ling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbPiPQc1qbc

He doesn't say where it is, exactly, but at a guess I'd say it's the waterfall at NG 941314 - so quite a bit further downstream than the crossing you're likely to be attempting

The River Ling is crossable at the outlet of Loch Cruoshie just north of the bothy at Maol Bhuide. It is quite deep but relatively slow flowing. The bogs on the north bank are pretty bad though.

If it was really wet, then it could certainly be impassable and trying to stay on the north bank to the N. f An Cruachan would be grim.

The crossing at Loch Cruoshie was impossible for a period during the 2011 Challenge. Having sought lots of advice I tried there, and further west, with poles just not finding the bottom about 3 metres out from the bank. I ended up walking nearly to Pait Lodge before finding a "safe" crossing. I was probably unlucky in reaching that crossing at its worst after heavy rain, and no doubt the water level sank a day or two later, but that can happen.

We crossed at the Right end in 2011 to get across to the bothy.
By the time we got there, the water was rising and several attempts were made in different places. At one point I was up to my waist and the silty mud felt dangerous so I backed out.
We finally got across with a bit of Physics and a leap of faith.
3 hours later I think it would have been a no go.
It was hard enough getting Mr Sloman across as it was.

What you cannot see from the picture is the fact that the jump was about 6', the deep bit was about 3' + deep and the water was moving like a train.
And the drop from the bank to the river base I was standing on was also about 3'
And the stones there were loose an slippery.

IT IS called a Challenge though!

If you want to read about it, then you can here TGOC 2011 Day 1