​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glenelg advice?

I have started from Glenelg twice and there are a number of B&Bs. No bus service though but on both occasions the B&B owner came to collect us from the bus stop at Sheil Bridge so ask around, otherwise it is along walk before you start the Challenge and you might want to save your energy for the real event!

I started at Glenelg in 2009.

I caught the Inverness sleeper and the morning train to Kyle of Lochalsh, then I walked over that bridge thingy that everyone got so excited about a few years ago, and down to Kylerea (although a nice person in a car took pity on me when the rain started and gave me a lift for some of the way). I then used the turntable ferry (which I had last used in 1988).

I had planned on camping wild the night before, but it was raining, and my tent doesn;t like being put up in the rain, so I took pity on it and treated myself to a night in the pub.

My views on pub quizzes:

1. Can't stand the things.
2. Locals who think that they're entitled to win just because they're local are even more despicable than people who think that just because their house fronts onto a particular road, they should be the only people entitled to park there (private roads excepted, of course: they pay to maintain the road and what they do with it is up to them).

Thanks for the information! It looks like there is a variety of interesting ways to get there using things I've not heard of. I think I'll have to travel a bit earlier so that I have time to take on board these experiences!

Paul M
Thanks for the information! It looks like there is a variety of interesting ways to get there using things I've not heard of. I think I'll have to travel a bit earlier so that I have time to take on board these experiences!

Spoken like a true Challenger, Paul!

This is what makes the Challenge so great ... it gives you the opportunity to discover all sorts of new things about Scotland, and visit places you would never otherwise have been.