​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Derry Foot Bridge & Derry Lodge

There has been many bridges over the years by that section of the river, and all washed away in August storms. I would for one like to see the road to Derry Lodge go, the bridges left ruined and a wild and hard to get to region in the park. The development of the lodge, and a newer bridge will see more people, and more issues I fear. At least Bob Scotts is safe for now.

Hi Martin , I forded this bit just below the bridge October 13 ish.. The burn was pretty low ( below knee ) which gave the day an extra slight edge over the bridge being there . Had the section been impassable it would have spoilt the day to reach Ben Macdui for foot traffic from Lin of Dee .Whilst i agree with your sentiments with regard to overusage i would think this area is safe due to distances involved.

The road is a easy cycle route and many bike up it and then hike in from Derry Lodge to Macdui. It is a busy road at times, and so my fear it will be even more busy with a new and more solid bridge and the lodge as a hostel or something else is to me sound. Those planning a Challenge route need to note a bridge over the Derry Burn 2.5k north of the lodge - so at worse add 1.5hr walking to get over the river in spate.

The Lairig Ghru (Gallic Làirig Dhrù) link route is fine if you ford the river, or cross the main bridge further up . Reports it is impassable as the bridge was washed away were rather daft as you can simply go by Glen Dee and no bridges to worry about.

For any Challengers passing this way, an update on this subject after a visit to Derry Lodge at Easter.

A temporary replacement footbridge has been delivered and is due to be installed in the next two weeks. This is only hearsay but I've seen the bridge parts, so that bit is real!

If the bridge does not get installed, your options are a knee deep paddle or a 200m walk up the Derry Burn to a conveniently fallen tree that will keep your feet dry. You will need to dodge some branches but by this stage of the Challenge you should be super-nimble!

Andy

The Scottish Rights of Way Society are looking to fund a replacement bridge at Derry Lodge if they can raise the funds. More info and ways to donate here:

http://www.scotways.com/news/442-donald-bennet-memorial-appeal