​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why not just put up a list?

8th November? But, but, it's the 3rd already.

So may ewes, so little time!

That's why it's frustrating, for me and for the boys!

Lists, like queues, are just so terribly British - don't you think?
It makes you feel rather proud....superior even!

JJ

....oh, and what Alan said about the funny grey text thing when trying to post a message.

Technically, a simple way is to put a read-only list on Dropbox or Google Drive then share the link on this board. Maybe worth thinking about for 2015?

Or on the TGO website with all the other resources?

Why not just bcc everyone a pdf of the list.
Simple.
Set up a group membership and you can just bcc the group.

Then no one has their email address exposed, and everyone get the list.
There could be a separate standby group.

Simple to set up.

Then the Chally notes and stuff can go out as normal, but those further away wouldn't have to wait.
As was said, overseas people get emailed

We are lagging behind in technology here.
While on the subject, a proper web form could be set up to fill route details in on line.

AND while I am harping on..

How about a message board that has Bold, Italic Font options on buttons, along with links and images, rather than having to type in painful BB codes.

I mean most boards have that as standard now, the Chally Board is looking rather neanderthal.

There are 100's of pointless icons on the Braveheart board, an annoying (prove I am not a robot thing) but no simple editing tools.
OOPS... Sorry, did I just hijack this thread.

It's been a stressful last 10 days here

It's wonderful what you can do with technology these days. Recently it took me almost an hour to find out how to swap from camera to video on my iPad, OK so I am a techno dinosaur. My point is that Sue & Ali have taken over a new project (to them) and as well as handling the list of applicants they also have all the background organisation plus a hostel to run. I am sure many Challengers have wonderful ideas for "improving" the running of the event but how many would give a considerable amount of their spare time to write the software, input the data and then maintain the program over the indefinite future?

Pete..

The message board issue is something that the boys who HOST it ought to really be providing. That aspect really has nothing (as far as I am aware, but I could be wrong) to do with Sue and Ali, or the organisation of the event, and nor I think does the design and maintenance of the board. Other than maybe the ability to removal dodgy threads and messages.

The BCC copy of the list to all those whose email is registered is really about a 10/15 min job once a year.
I would happily do that IF I had the list and the email addresses.

I am sure everyone realises the monumental task that the coordination of this event is, and are eternally grateful to all those involved.

But we can always have a small eye on the future

We have opted for the first year to keep pretty much everything the same as before. It is a steep learning curve and making changes often upsets people. Those who are less "techie" are the least likely to use the message board and we don't want their views excluded because they can't/ don't want to post on the forum. Some people don't even have email addresses. We had already thought of alternative ways to tell people if they have a place and have considered in future using email to pass on the Event Details for those who use computers as this would also save paper and postage as well as some (wo)man hours. We will canvas people after the Challenge and listen to any constructive views.

Frankly I think this could be an excellent additional delivery channel for the future - and as Andy says, there's nothing complex about creating a BCC eMail. (Blind Carbon Copy (carbon-paper, what this be??))

There would be saving on postage - not to mention the time and licking involved in collating the material and stuffing the envelopes. (Licking? Stuffing the envelopes? This sounds vaguely deviant.)

Postage savings based on around 240 Challenged choosing to go for an eMail option:

First class: 3.8 bottles of Ardbeg (shurely shome mishtake here? Lesh go or four? Ed.)
Second class: 60 deep-fried Mars Bars

Realistically there'd be no savings on print. Well, there could be if using a digital press as against litho, but it'd be minimal. About 200 Jammie Dodgers at today's rates.

This all gets compounded when you consider the Final Details. For myself I have no problem whatsoever accessing material in this format - tho' I must confess that I take a Horrid Pleasure in receiving physical print. I can fully recommend Ms Whiplash to any interested parties.

And a special message for Vanessa! Years ago (around 1980) my neighbour in Co Wicklow brought in a French ram - a Berrichon - to entertain his Cheviot/Suffolk flock. After three daze we found him flat on the track - exhausted by those Irish Grrrrls! But I guess he died happy . . .

Humph,I don't think Vanessa's little yows would be interested in that sort of thing. They're pure bred Highlanders, for goodness sake!

There's no carbon in a cc, Humphrey (b or otherwise): it stands for COURTESY copy.

Jeremy, that fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia, suggests that HMP3 is correct. Bcc, stands for blind carbon copy http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_carbon_copy

Years ago I introduced email to my workplace. It was enthusiastically adopted by my staff to inform me of their every trivial decision.

BCC = Backside Covering Copy

Strangely, that doesn't appear on Wikipedia, but is a much more satisfactory interpretation

Robin
Jeremy, that fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia, suggests that HMP3 is correct. Bcc, stands for blind carbon copy http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_carbon_copy

Ah ... but it acknowledges "Courtesy Copy" as a potential derivation of "cc" without the "b" (albeit listing it after "carbon copy": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC )

Perhaps my profession just tends to be more courteous than some others ...

As for the meaningof "bcc", I think that Wiki may have got it wrong on this occasion: http://www.beardedcollieclub.co.uk/default.php

Keep going, Jeremy! Wikipedia suggests that "courtesy copy" is a backronym http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_carbon_copy#Carbon_vs._courtesy

The Techterms website agrees with Wikipedia http://www.techterms.com/definition/bcc

However, Jeremy, I think Phil's definition is still the best

Gentlemen

So far we've had references to Horrid Pleasures, Licking & Stuffing, Ms Whiplash, exhausted Irish girls, Neanderthals, shaggy dogs, bottoms, and lastly, Courtesy.

I had wondered what message board I had strayed upon.

I would say both are now accepted meanings.

However, historically I suspect Carbon may be longer in the tooth.

And as such IMO it was not worth making the correction in the first place, since it was not a correction but an alternative interpretation.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/28105/where-did-cc-and-bcc-come-from

Oh yea ... I'm loving this thread. Back in the day I had an IBM Selectric typewrither (Series I) which gave you the ability to change typefaces by swapping over the golfball.There were 45 typefaces in all - which was not too shabby, especially if you were knocking up fanzines. It was absolutely The Frog's W*llies for kicking out carbon copies.

Now, anyone fancy a quick mimeograph before dinner?

I can still smell those sheets of paper now, HMP3

This is but shabby and disgusting. Sniffing sheets is beyond the beyonds. It's not smart. It's not clever. It's reprehensible.

For proper sniffing you want a Banda Copier. With those exotic solvents running off 100 copies was enough to put you over the limit.

What's a typewriter?