​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: kilchoan start

many thanks allen/john/adrian/and jeremy for all of your advice i think the best way for me will be train to fort william wens and 1,20pm ? bus out to kilchoan on thurs
cherrs sam

Hi Sam,
I started here last year.
Due to timings of earlier trains I had to get a bus from Glasgow-Fort William.
Then i jumped off at the Corran ferry and got the Shiel bus from Fort William-Kilchoan. It gets the 13.45 ferry make sure you're on that ferry as a foot passenger and get on the bus there,just pay the driver.

Current timetables show a little overlap,15 mins, if you want to go all the way to Fort Wiliam, but I didn't fancy risking it. All depends on your train times to Glasgow/Fort William for the onward Shiel bus.

Hope this makes sense.
Ade.

Alan -

I do a post per photo.

I don't know why you are only able to see one post at a time - I can have it show me about a hundred posts at a time. OK, so I have to read from the bottom up rather than the top down, because I'm not clever enough to reverse that. But I don't know why you are unable to see it like that when I can.

But anyway.

There are two things about Kilchoan.

1. It is on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, and
2. It has a ferry to / from Tobermory on Mull.

How you get there will probably depend upon how you intend to walk away from there.

Most of my fellow Kilchoan starters last year (the inaugral year of Kilchoan as a start point - I chose to get in early this time because I blinked and missed Glenuig) were walking away through the Ardnamurchan peninsula, so some of them chose to get a train to Oban, a ferry to Craignure, a bus to Tobermory and a ferry to Kilchoan.

I, on the other hand, chose to use Kilchoan to be able to realise my long-held ambition of spending part of a Challenge on the part of Mull which is within Challenge bounds, so I caught the sleeper to Fort Bill and a bus (which leaves in the early afternoon, and gives you a wonderful few hours in FW) to Kilchoan, whihc broke down in Acharacle, but we got there in the end.

Mind you, on the sleeper, you do have to put up with whoever you find sitting opposite you in the day carriage come the next morning. But at least you will not have the same ordeal as Mr Sloman did last year, as I shall be taking the Inverness sleeper this year, and then the morning train to Kyle of Lochalsh for a Dornie start.