​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: So what's wrong with Wester Ross?

An excellent suggestion, and one that I believe merits serious consideration.

Ullapool in particular would be a splendid start-point, with easy access - regular bus services from Inverness, and the opportunity to explore the mighty country north of Torridon, or a fine stravaig directly east.

Two of my oldest fiends live in Achiltibuie - Challengers could access this remarkable townland using the post-bus, and then explore the mighty country that leads via Stac Pollaidh and glorious tangled ground to the east.

The joy of The Challenge is that nothing is set in stone. Frankly I'd welcome a fresh look at the Challenge area per se.

There is going to be no chance of a cure to my emerging TGOC addiction if this area is added..... I would love to be able to have a route that passed through this area. Good suggestion

AS - Thought I might tempt you, but not Gairloch, please.

JD - Have you been looking in my Inbox? There is a vetter with strong views on the subject currently lurking in Wester Ross! :)

HW - The postbus service was damaged beyond repair a couple of years ago when the Royal Mail decided it didn't want to do it any more. In Highland the only route left is Lairg to Tongue and even I am not suggesting we start on the north coast! However you can get to Achiltibuie by the school bus or service bus on non-school days. Lochinver has a service bus that meets the Inverness-Ullapool bus twice (sometimes 3 times) a day and I think Westerbus goes to Poolewe and Dundonnell.

I'm glad there seems to be enthusiasm for the idea. However, being realistic, SuenAli aren't going to make any changes for a year or two and, if vetters object, it's not going to happen anyway.

But does the Challenge HAVE to be in Scotland?

Provence is very nice in May.

Yea Vanessa - my fiend Al Fraser was for many ears headmaster of the Achiltibuie primary school. And getting there isn't really a problem. As we know, the further out you get the easier it is to make a connection!

Frankly I think that expanding the Challenge area can only be for the good. And in the heel of the hunt it's our Challenge, and we don't have to be proscribed by some class of a prescriptive geography that was defined over thirty years ago.

I really hope that your initiative can open up a fresh look at the Challenge area.

All the beast!

Totally agree - a start in Wester Ross would be great. As a relatively new Challenger (2 x), I have wondered why Ardrishaig and not Ullapool?