​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re Stepping Stones

I agree, Judith. Being very wet is liberating!

October issue of TGO has some useful tips on crossing rivers, including NOT using stepping stones if partially under water. We always use trekking poles (extended), when crossing even quite shallow burns, which give extra support, much needed in my case. I hope you had your hip belt undone at the time as I have seen walkers be pulled straight to the bottom of a river by their sack. Hope you are well recovered now.
Grumpy.

Thanks all for your kindly concern, damage was minimal but my pride is dead in the water!

Peter's comment about releasing your rucksack hip belt reminds me of some advice from Ray Mears about the pack being a useful flotation device - must have been one of those TV ones with the polystyrene inside. Personally I've always found a sack full of bricks works better.

I have seen the occasional backpack float down a Highland burn; very amusing as long as it aint your own bag. Using it as a float is best done by putting the pack inside a big plastic bag and making sure the bag is tied very tightly.

Correct JD but how many Challengers will have time to do this while tip toeing across the Fords of Avon in flood?