​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Peter Goodwin

Yes, I have just received the news too, as he was due to join us very shortly up in Assynt. I have known him many years as a keen Alpine Club member, always attending our summer Alpine meets with his son, and up for an interesting route or two on the big hills. Sad news indeed, and awful for his family.

I am very sorry indeed to hear the sad news of the passing of Peter Goodwin.

I have had the privilege of casting an eye over Peter's route proposals a few times in recent years, the last being for the 2013 season and also always found him to be a very modest, capable and pleasant person at the celebrations in The Park after his many successful Challenges. My sincere condolences to Peter's family.

Another great Challenger now gone.

Colin Tock

I've spent all day numbed by the news of Peter's death.

I know everyone bangs on about the 'Challenge family' but Peter (and Ursula, of course) really do feel like family and his passing leaves a void difficult to fill.

I've known Peter for over ten years and one of my fondest memories was of a particularly nasty wet day from Tomintoul towards Ballater, when I bumped into Peter & Ursula, and Colin. We were plodding up the Avon on our foul weather routes and had stopped for elevenses in a brief moment of respite from the rain.

Peter always had a ready smile and enquired how we had fared the previous night in a tremendous thunder storm with the usual heavy rain and mighty winds. I replied that I was pitched in the forest, alongside Colin, and we had got through the night in fear of our lives from falling branches, largely with the help of an extraordinarily expensive double matured 18 year old.

I don't suppose you have any left, then? It sounded dreadful against the window of our cosy B&B...

Ursula, Peter and Colin

So our elevenses consisted of the rest of the Lagavulin, held in place by Ursula's yoghurt coated peanuts. A wonderful snatched moment, which was the last food for a while as it then continued to pour with rain for the rest of the day.

Ursula's annual cry of "Never Again!" is, sadly, now true.

I'm going to miss Peter. He was a lovely man. I'll raise a glass tonight to him.

My sincere condolences to Peter's family.

Alan Soman

What an awful shock. I spent many happy days with Peter on the challenge and had the pleasure of staying with him in his home and of having him stay at mine where we introduced each other to our local stamping grounds. The pleasure of meeting him and Ursula on the crossing and always managing to sit with them at the challenge dinner will stay with me. He was a delightful gentle man an accomplished climber and a strong and determined walker. My thoughts are with his family and Ursula who has lost a dear walking friend. I will miss him. I still find it difficult to believe he has gone.

This is shocking news. Peter was one one of the true gentlemen of the Challenge. He shall be missed.

Ian C.

I am so very sorry to hear this terrible news and all my thoughts are with Ursula and Peter's family at this sad time. Thinking of you all, Love Heather