​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stratospire 1

Thanks very much for the replies and the suggestion of additional pegging points. It seems to me that it's a grown up Trailstar with more usable head height and with the addition of a nest included. The dog will be happy. Andy Howell had a good point with the lifters.

Thanks again.

Re: the lifters, don't forget that as a solo walker, both your poles will be supporting the tent. You might want to consider a Trailstar or Duomid with an inner. The weights are quite similar. The Trailstar is totally bomber. I used a Scarp this year, which I think is superb but a little heavier.

As an actual owner and user of Stratospire 1 on the last two Challenges I can thoroughly recommend it.

I have not experienced any abnormal flapping nor any abnormal condensation. Although I always set the ridge guidelines in line with the ridge line I have not found it necessary to use lifters for the side panels nor did I feel that extra pegging points would be necessary.

It takes only a couple of minutes to erect but you do have to exercise a little extra care when pitching as the sleeping area is offset to the ridgeline. Do follow Henry Shires advice in his video of ensuring a rectangular shape as it results in the inner being clear of your face but also clear from the outer. It is worthwhile taking an extra minute to re-peg if necessary.

The interior space is superb with same sleeping area as the Scarp 1 but an interior height of 48 inches!

Andy Howell does cover the main advantages very well in both reviews but the Stratospire 1 does not seem to suffer as much sil nylon sag as the 2.

If possible see if Henry can fit two way zips on the doors as the only, slight, difficulty is that it is a long stretch across the porches.

All in all a great tent and you'll enjoy using it

Thanks Ray, good to read. I was just about to order and then saw a Drift 1 from Trekkertent. So now thinking cap back on!