​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spittal of Glenshee Hotel & Bunkhouse

I really meant to camp there in 2010 but was seduced by the £25 deal of bed and all you can breakfast. Boy, did I do the breakfast some justice. I don't think they made much profit on my stay!

Re: Spittal of Glenshee Hotel & Bunkhouse

Thank you all for suggestions, here and by e-mail.

I'm sorted!! As mentioned, I'm happy to camp but was worried about a parcel......I've found the Compass Christian Centre, which is near Glenshee Outdoor Centre just south of Spittal, and it's actually on my route - heading east across the hills afterwards.

They are happy to take a parcel and if going out will text my mobile to say which outhouse it's in. Their hostel accommodation is mostly for youth groups but they occasionally have individual dormitory beds available, and they also have three different self-catering apartments which cost between £75 and £89 per night for FOUR people! Might be useful in future for groups or sharers. I'm trying to persuade husband and one local son that a Saturday in Glenshee area would do them a world of good......

Phone number for this wonderful establishment is 01250 885209.

Re: Spittal of Glenshee Hotel & Bunkhouse: PS

Sorry, I should have said: the Compass Centre told me the hotel is in a transition phase and may even have to close, so they're not taking bookings. Sad, because like Andy I remember that £25 deal from 2005, but I doubt it exists now anyway - too good to be true.

I'm glad you posted this question, Jean. The hotel has not answered my email but I at least now know that it would be prudent for me to book a bed in the Prosen Hostel for the following night and keep the Spittal of Glenshee bunkhouse as an unpected extra treat if they're still open when I get there.
It's a shame that so many places are closing.

If we found another two, Judith, we could share a 4-person apartment for bargain price at this Compass Centre.......although it's probably not on your onward route? Pity it's a bit late now for such planning.

Hope to see you in Montrose - btw the Final Details have me down to finish on 23rd but I'm actually due on 22nd.

Fits ah this, Jeanie! Surely Yey're nae looking fur a bidey-in, ma Quinie? Michty me!

Ach weel Jphnnie lad, gin ah hid eneugh o' thon amateur drinkin' in Hielan' howffs, ye niver ken......

Jean
I've just checked my map and I walk right past the Glenshee Lodge Outdoor Centre .... but I think I shall be a day behind you - I don't reach the Spittal until the Sunday night. I've now booked accommodation for the Monday night..... so my second week shower is now confirmed (whether I need it or not).

See you in Montrose.

Sounds good, Judith. As mentioned, my better half may be coming to Glenshee. When meeting me from my stravaiging in the hills, he has been known to arrive sporting a clothes-peg on his nose. If he doesn't come & I camp, not sure where I'll find second-week shower, I'll have to river-dip.....or perchance supply Finish Control with clothes-pegs.