​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Travelling to Torridon

Hello challengers,

In looking for a possibility to reach Torridon by public transport on thursday 8th May. When i searched the internet, i only found one connection by bus from Strathcarron, but im arriving to late to catch this opportunity.

I know there are more people starting from Torridon on friday and im curious how you guys plan to go to Torridon, and maybe we can arrange something.

I booked the train to Achnashellach and arriving there at 15.08 pm. I don't know if this railstation is a good choice to reach Torridon. Who can help me out, or advise me what to do?

Im not able to arrive earlier, because of my flight from Amsterdam.....

Very best wishes,

Henk

Re: Travelling to Torridon

Hi Henk

If you put "Torrridon" into the search box on this site you will come across a conversation from a couple of weeks ago but I think you are arriving later than them.

If you look at this site, you will come across travel options in the area with some phone nos.
http://www.visittorridon.co.uk/travel.php

Alternatively, you could contact where you are staying in Torridon and ask for suggestions from them. (There is always someone in a remote area who operates a taxi service (official or unofficial).

Or you could hitch. Again, in a rural area someone will always pick you up and it is safe.

Best of luck

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the quick reply. I got a mail from the youth hostel that taking a hitchhike from Achnasheen is best to do. All public transport is already gone by the time i arrive.

Very best wishes,

Henk

Henk, Achnasheen is at a road junction; it is probably better to hitch on the A832 road westwards by Glen Docherty to Kinlochewe rather than the A890. At Kinlochewe the A896 runs through Glen Torridon to within a few metres of the hostel.

As John says, definitely head for Kinlochewe first when hitching.

There are in fact a couple of public transport options: one is the Gairloch High School school bus from Kinlochewe at 16:15 to Torridon, and another is the T19 Lochcarron Garage Services bus from Kinlochewe that meets the Westerbus 700 17:20 service from Inverness (not every day, but OK on a Thursday). I have emailed you specific details of these.

Good luck and a safe crossing!

Vanessa

Thanks for helping me out! I didnt recognize Kinlochewe was that near from Achnasheen. If possible i will hike, otherwise walk to Kinlochewe. Nice training for the coming days :-).

Just saw this thread.....I hitched from Achnasheen (as JD says) the year I started from Torridon. No problem getting lifts.

I hope you have decent weather: it's a beautiful start.