​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Of maps and map cases

The trouble is, there wasn't. It was, in fact, a licence key (or license key as they call it) issue, which I have been prompted to resolve, and now, after 10 years, I can print! A pity the maps are so out of date .......

I have access to an A3 colour photocopier - so I make a map (if necessary, a composite assembled from copies of two or more maps) for each day, with the day's walking marked in highlighter. The master maps stay at home in the warm and dry.

I keep my daily maps in Ortleib cases. I have two cases - one for the maps still to use, the other for the maps which I've finished with. They hang round my neck but - critically - the strings pass UNDER my chest strap; so if the wind starts spinning them, I don't get garotted.

There is still the hazard of the wind flipping them up in my face; but whenever this appears likely, I make sure that they're either zipped inside my jacket or tucked into the rucksack waist strap.

I tuck my mapcase between my back and my rucksack. I have a small carabiner on one rucksack strap into which I clip the map case cord for retention.

It can be a bit sweaty on the hottest days but otherwise works well for me.

Lots of ingenious ideas. I am about to try a version of my own.

There are however disadvantages to the "put map in pocket" idea for a proportion of the population. Firstly, some trousers have map pockets, but I have never come across a women's one (and possibly for good reason as I have very short legs). I also have a smock type waterproof. Good size pouch but because it is part-filled from the inside (to put it delicately) it is unsuited to anything long and flat.

I am surprised how many people travel without the full map. There must really be people out there who plan the walk and walk the plan. Part of the fun for me is perusing the map and walking out alternatives as I go along . Most of which I don't take, but there have been times ..... (not,of course, without informing Challenge Control ).