​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Of maps and map cases

I use Toughprint waterproof paper for my printouts. Not cheap but it is what it says. Tough and waterproof. Mind you, I still stick it in the Ortilieb which I hang round my neck. I like being slapped round the face by this in strong winds whilst the cord twists and twists and slowly strangles me. It adds to the Challenge. Some, however, roll it up and slip it in two loops of shock cord on rucksack strap....

I use an Ortlieb map case, with the OS map covers removed, folded and placed in my husband's trouser map pocket.... works a treat! ....for me, anyway! ;-)

Vicky G

I solved this problem a few years ago by copying what PeeWiglet had done. (And she'd copied it off someone too, so thanks to whoever had the idea in the first place).

I have two split rings (like you have on a keyring) clipped onto the thin part of my rucksack strap. Attached to each split ring is a loop of round elastic. Fastened onto the loop of elastic is the type of cord-lock you get on various bits of outdoor clothing, tent bags etc.

I roll up my Ortlieb mapcase and then tighten the two loops of elastic around it. It then sits snugly at the left-hand side of my rucksack strap and it's no bother at all to look at the map during those all too frequent "where did that mountain come from?" moments.

Let me know if the explanation doesn't make any sense. I may have a photo somewhere.

I use a large ziploc bag, rolled it fits in my chest pocket.

Hi Vanessa!
I have 'real' maps coverless and in a zip lock in my pack. I have Memory Map print outs in an Ortleib case. I have tried the split ring attachment method but did not get on with it. I'll probably be in the flappy map brigade again this yeae but always tey to solve the flapping en route.
See you soon, somewhere!

I use an ortlieb map case - and a 'bum-bag' with stuff I want during the day. The map case string goes round my neck, one arm through so the string is diagonally across me, then the case is folded in 3 and tucked behind my bum-bag out of the way. And yes, I also remove the map covers.

The rucsac hip belt fastens neatly under the bum-bag. Works for me.

Re: Of maps and map cases-Solution brought to you by Tocks Truly Triffic Trekking & Timely Travel Ti

Vanessa,

.... Simples... make a small loop of shock-cord or elastic and secure round the pack hip belt near to the buckle. Then using a tie wrap or similar attach a plastic "j" or snap hook to the bottom left hand corner black flexible vinyl cord attachment eye of your Ortlieb Map case et voila... - in windy conditions simply secure the map case to the elastic loop to prevent you getting battered in the face but still allowing freedom of movement when walking. Simply unclip if you need to raise the map/case to view or to sit down on a rock etc.

Alternatively if you carry your map case slung over your right shoulder attach the hook to the bottom right attachment eye.

regards,

Colin

Re: Of maps and map cases-Solution brought to you by Tocks Truly Triffic Trekking & Timely Travel Ti

Colin, genius.

You've given me an idea. I'll be back...

I use an A5 case, and also have the cord attached to the rucksack, and on the other corner I use one of the skiing lift pass doodats, that has a retractable cord in it.

Wind it out, and it reels itself back in

Seemples

Hi
Ortlieb A5 with 1:50k sheet on a folded A4 sheet. Thumb the map when you're using it or roll up and fit in a chest or trouser pocket. Less prone to being blown away than the larger A4, lighter, fits pocket, allows all or most of a long days walk to be covered if the printout is well planned. Learned from guides at Glenmore Lodge. K

Many thanks to all responders and I will peruse and cogitate tomorrow when I have got over today's trip to Inverness shopping for animal feed, husband feed and other stuff to keep the place going while I'm away, plus important stuff like gas and THE BOOTS (last lot fell apart during Easter weekend trial of kit). Cutting it fine, I know.

Incidentally I have never been able to print off Memory Map (job lot bought in 2004, but does for route planning if you check current maps and other online sources). Do you have to buy an extra licence to do so? I am constitutionally incapable of travelling without the full map, but having it in my pack while having what I need for the day more accessible might help.

However, I like some of the fixing without flapping suggestions. I may come back to some of you with a request for pics. I can no longer tolerate the twisting cord and flapping in face scenario! :)

Vanessa

I don't think you need an extra licence? There should be a print icon along the top bar I think, or in one of the drop down menus. It can't be hard if I've managed as I am a complete techno numpty. I'll have a look after my stroll...

The trouble is, there wasn't. It was, in fact, a licence key (or license key as they call it) issue, which I have been prompted to resolve, and now, after 10 years, I can print! A pity the maps are so out of date .......

I have access to an A3 colour photocopier - so I make a map (if necessary, a composite assembled from copies of two or more maps) for each day, with the day's walking marked in highlighter. The master maps stay at home in the warm and dry.

I keep my daily maps in Ortleib cases. I have two cases - one for the maps still to use, the other for the maps which I've finished with. They hang round my neck but - critically - the strings pass UNDER my chest strap; so if the wind starts spinning them, I don't get garotted.

There is still the hazard of the wind flipping them up in my face; but whenever this appears likely, I make sure that they're either zipped inside my jacket or tucked into the rucksack waist strap.

I tuck my mapcase between my back and my rucksack. I have a small carabiner on one rucksack strap into which I clip the map case cord for retention.

It can be a bit sweaty on the hottest days but otherwise works well for me.

Lots of ingenious ideas. I am about to try a version of my own.

There are however disadvantages to the "put map in pocket" idea for a proportion of the population. Firstly, some trousers have map pockets, but I have never come across a women's one (and possibly for good reason as I have very short legs). I also have a smock type waterproof. Good size pouch but because it is part-filled from the inside (to put it delicately) it is unsuited to anything long and flat.

I am surprised how many people travel without the full map. There must really be people out there who plan the walk and walk the plan. Part of the fun for me is perusing the map and walking out alternatives as I go along . Most of which I don't take, but there have been times ..... (not,of course, without informing Challenge Control ).