​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tube strike 5th -9th May

Just had an email from Transport for London. There's a possible tube strike from 5th May to 9th May courtesy of the warm and wonderful RMT. You may need to factor this in to your travel plans if you are using a London terminus.

Re: Tube strike 5th -9th May

Many thanks for that info I was starting travel on the 7 so smack bang in the middle.

Thanks -

I'm on the sleeper on the 7th, but I was planning to find my way to Euston without the assistance of TfL in any event.

Since the introduction of Oyster, I refuse to deal with them. Nowadays I walk or take a taxi.

(Grumpy old man? Me? Perish the thought!)

OK so maps out for a quick route planning!
Hmmm that's a lot of good pubs I'll be walking past; might be a bit wobbly when I get to The Bree Louise on the 7th

Who else is catching the Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort Bill sleeper?

A couple of tips for those not familiar with London/tube strikes..

It's the second of two strikes (we've got one most of next week too) and so there's a chance it will be cancelled. So my fingers are crossed!

If it goes ahead, tfl will release a plan of lines they plan to keep open or closed a few days before - but don't rely on this because invariably different people turn up than they thought would. If you get to London and some of the lines are open then it's worth a try, but could be horribly busy.

Buses will still be running a full service. The online tfl journey planner can be pretty rubbish for planning the best bus journey, as can the google maps version. Best option is an app called city mapper, worth downloading, using and deleting later if you don't need it. It keeps updated for the effects of the strike too. The roads get very busy in the strike though so leave lots of time.

Also, contactless debit cards can be used on buses like an Oyster card, which cuts the cash fare in half and saves messing around with coins.

I hope anyone travelling through London doesn't have too much of a difficult time. It can be a fun place to walk through and stretch your legs anyway!

courtesy of Robert Leech:

RMT:

· RMT members working for London Underground (LU) intend to stage a 48-hour strike from 21:00 on Monday 28 April and a 72-hour strike from 21:00 on Monday 5 May, after talks broke down in a dispute over proposed operational changes. They will not be joined by members of other unions working for LU (TSSA, ASLEF and Unite). A 48-hour strike action by RMT and TSSA on 4 February caused disruption across London.

· RMT members working for Heathrow Express will stage a 48-hour strike from 03:00 on 29 April, in a dispute over proposed redundancies and pay. A previous strike in February 2012 caused Heathrow Express to run an amended service.

This week's tube strike is on. The Transport for London website suggests that some services will run. This should give a good idea as to what services might be available should next week's strike go ahead.

Just had an email from TFL. At the moment, next week's tube strike is still on. Some lines will be running. Check TFL website for further info

The tube strike in the last couple of days hasn't been as bad as in the past. The trains were packed during commuter time, infrequent and difficult to get on but generally still running on most lines. Outside of rush hours they were ok. The roads were dreadful though, and Addison Lee were fully booked so it may have been because everyone used alternative methods.

In short, leave lots of time but it may be ok.

http://tfl.gov.uk/modes/tube/travel-advice-for-tube-customers

I'm not adept enough to do links, but if you paste the above into your browser it should give the tube services they are expecting to run.

BBC is reporting that the tube strike has been suspended

They announced it on the tube. Stopped myself from cheering, just.