​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drumochter Snow Report

Just returned from an Easter expedition to the Drumochter Hills, and I beg to report as follows.

I observed no snow South of Killiecrankie.

North of Killiecrankie, however, it is a different story.

Beinn a Ghlo and Ben Alder both appear to be very well stocked with snow. I did not venture onto either of them, however, so I cannot comment on the extent to which (if at all) appearances are deceptive.

I visited all four Munros south of Dalwhinnie and West of the A9, and all can currently be scaled without winter gear - albeit route choices may be affected by snow.

There are still substantial snow fields, particularly on north-facing and (to a lesser extent) east-facing slopes. West and south facing slopes are less snowed-in. It is fair to say that above about 700 metres on most north facing slopes it is still a case of them being predominantly white with areas of green; whereas on most south facing slopes they are predominantly green with areas of white. East and west facing slopes are in transition between the two states, with east-facing slopes tending to the former and west-facing tending to the latter. On the tops, however, the snow has mostly gone.

Even where the snow has mostly vanished, there are still some very alarming looking cornices.

My descent to Dalnaspidal Lodge would have required venturing into a snow field which looked too hairy for me to attempt without winter gear. I therefore chose a somewhat circuitous, and uncomfortably steep, oblique descent to the north shore of Loch Garry instead. If conditions persist as they are, I think all venturing high in this mountain section will need to be prepared to make similar route revisions in response to snow fields that they may encounter along the way.