​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Challenge Rituals

Good heavens man, your use of ladies shreddies is now an indelible part of Challenge lore, there's no need to bookmark the thread!

JJ

What a lovely thread!

As I only did my first Challenge last year I suppose I can not have rituals yet. However, I guess that anythings I do this year that are the same as last year will, by definition, become rituals. So two things that I never manage in the rest of the year are possibilities: 1) being sociable; and 2) drinking Guinness in pubs.....

Evidence: St Cyrus 2009

Brrr that last one gives me a kind of deja-vu - nuff respect to the full-length proper dipper (ghasp!)... Hennyway, my ritual is to do absolutely nothing the day after arrival at Montrose, apart from eating, snoozing, scoffing a lump of hot smoked salmon, crusty bread, vino collapso, reading couple of "big" newspapers... Although I did have a dip on Montrose beach once, when it was very hot, then more snoozing, mainly for building up strength for a proper afternoon nap, waking up just in time for the speeches at The Park

If Dave has taken Jeremy's advice in 2012, he may well have NOT worn those dreadful cotton Shredders (spelling of that word intentional) and as such saved both his Challenge and his Manhood...

As well as a memory I still want to erase from my mind but cannot.

And that event should NEVER be considered as a RITUAL!

you must recall your reply to my question ,mr. knipe on the campsite at Montrose . please be aware of your acceptance of any help on this years challenge and not mock it . ( should anyone request me to quote for a specific purpose of your reply i can , and will ! ) May your crossing be helpfull to others in some manner or other if you are awake .

Firsttimer here, so no rituals yet.
Planned to take a pebble across, but a dram would suit me too!!
But just one dram at the time......
Cheers.

Hint: blend your straight Scotch with 10% Islay (e.g. Ardbeg 10Yrs),
that's my personal hiking blend.

Mixing the Ardbeg with a blended whisky?!

Shock horror!

In spite of that I still hope you have a good Challenge!

To make the horror bigger, I mix it with Irish Bushmills Black Bush.
Real good, but only on the move....

Re - "Hint: blend your straight Scotch with 10% Islay (e.g. Ardbeg 10Yrs),
that's my personal hiking blend."

Try mixing 50/50 Whisky/Clayva or Whisky/Drambuie.

It makes it last a lot longer but the liqueur sticks to the glass thereby entailing deep tongue licking. A short glass helps.

ps Ardbeg still has lumps of peat in it but I have never been known to pass up an opportunity to be converted.

Try mixing 50/50 Whisky/Clayva or Whisky/Drambuie.

Now, I could do that depending upon the Whisky.
Or add a bit of cool fresh stream water.

BUT to blend a Malt with another Malt??

To each his own...

I will this year however, be avoiding "Rusty Nails" like the plague...

Yes a few rusty nails are a perfect cure for snoring or persistent night coughing-after a few you won't hear a thing.

I am waiting until next year when I'll be able to bring my favorite malt back duty free! Although while on the Challenge my mobile phone calls may cost a bit more as they may be charged as "International"!

Aleistair Crowley lived for a while at Boleskine House (NH 509 221 - just 1.5km SW of Inverfarigaig and handy for any Challengers crossing Loch Ness). I understand that he was definitely the go-to guy for rituals . . .

Aleistair was a serious Alpinist and Himalayan climber, so I don't think a little necromancy and devil-worship should put anyone off; He'd be a grand lad to share a bothy night with; McCook's Cottage springs to mind.

These things are true. There's a great account of Crowley's part in the first attempt to climb K2 in 1902, when he was about 27, which you can take a look at here. They got up to around 6,000m.

A life long ambition of achieving Coroner is a goal quoted by Tom Lehrer . But maybe he wasn't a climber , T. lehrer that is .