​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inverness too strath carran

Hi two of us are traveling from Inverness to strath carran on the Saturday morning .the 1st train doesn't leave till 9 am. Any other ideas ? Taxi for 4 to expensive ?

Re: Inverness too strath carran

I use http://www.travelinescotland.com/ to check public transport possibilities. If there is nothing suitable then I believe you are stuck with paying for a taxi. Your only other option is to travel up on Friday and stay overnight somewhere.

Firstly, Peter, Lee and Matt - welcome to The Challenge! You're going to have a wonderful crossing, and I very much hope to meet up with you in Montrose to note your tales/tails.

Each to his own, but frankly I'd rather take the train! It's a great journey (sit on the right-hand side of the carriage for best views) and you can walk around and stretch your legs. Single fare is £9.70 - and I guess that a taxi could cost you in the order of £60 absolute minimum - it's a 130 mile round-trip. Plus you'd have to find a driver willing to get up early in the morning.

The 08:58 train gets into Strathcarron at 10:46, and the sign-out point at the Strathcarron Hotel is but 100m hop and a jump from the stop. So you'll have a good eleven more hours of daylight. And the hotel will be open for business. They are humans of the very first water . . .

But in the heel of the hunt it's entirely your choice!

Peter it's a fine train ride. Views are great and heck you arrive a bit later in the morning. The days are long and it won't get dark till very late, so let the train take the strain. Have a pint to kick off and go for it. Not hard. You'll arrive at the first night stop over in the evening. Your not behind anyone. Its not a race. Relax, enjoy.

Yes - Humphrey and Martin are right.

Of course, if your first day is 45km with 1,800+ metres of time, then you might find an earlier start advisable. But I somehow doubt that it is (that's why we have route vetters ... )

Re: Inverness to Strathcarron

Re: Inverness to Strathcarron