​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Culra Bothy - Closed With Immediate Effect

Real shame as the MBA has done so much good work on it. Don't forget MBA still have:

"Faindouran Lodge is in a dangerous condition as a result of a chimney stack and wall collapse and should not be used. See General News for further information."

For those planning Glen Avon routes. Always worth checking the MBA site for updates on bothies when planning routes.

I was through there on Tuesday night (11th Mar), all the door have a warning notice nailed to them warning of asbestos dust but remain unlocked.
I pitched up on the nice grass down by the river opposite the bothy, a fine spot.

Paul Atkinson
I was through there on Tuesday night (11th Mar), all the door have a warning notice nailed to them warning of asbestos dust but remain unlocked.

This is, I think, the right response ... well done MBA.

Asbestos is a killer, but bothies can be life-savers. When we go into the mountains, we must take responsibility for our own safety and decisions.

I wouold hate to think some tick-box moron said "Oh no ... it's asbestos ... we must lock it so nobody sues us, I mean, gets hurt" only to have some poor blighter die of hypothermia at the door of the bothy because they couldn't get in.

I doubt I shall go in ... but I think it's absolutely right that I should be given the information and left to make my own choice, rather than having the choice made for me by some remote faceless bureaucrat who knows nothing of my circumstances.