​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Getting to Mallaig

Just to clarify that was the Aberdeenshire bus pass and not the Colombian best!!!!!

cj

Hi Charlie,

Based on some of my own train research, another rather roundabout train possibility is:

Aberdeen – Dundee: £6.90
Dundee Glasgow: £6.90
Glasgow Mallaig: 15.70
TOTAL: £29.50

I know this plan takes rather a long time, due to connections at Dundee and Glasgow, but it has the advantage of avoiding buses and you will have Challenger company from at least Dundee (if you like that sort of thing).

Just a thought – look forward to seeing you in Mallaig!

Hi Charlie

I had also hoped for the rail/skye romantic option (coming from Sutherland would have got on at Garve) but realised it wasn't going to work so now getting the bus all the way. That will be 5 buses in total. I don't mind buses (currently writing this on a bus with free wifi) and since I recently got my shiny new Highland Council "entitlement" card (aka bus pass) it's also a lot cheaper than going over the bridge to/over the sea from Skye.

And Lochybridge is no place to wait for a bus when there is the option of an all day breakfast at Morrisons plus buying what you forgot (matches last time for me).

See you there!

Vanessa

PS Anyone who takes 8 mins to walk from the train to the bus station in Inverness will struggle to complete the Challenge in 15 days. The trick is to go through the car park adjacent to platform 7.

Sneaky shortcut that cuts out all the mincing about with hoards of other pedestrians. You can even find a friendly Challenger to guard your pack while you nip to Craigdon Mountain Sports on the corner to pick up a gas canister or perhaps a new mattress after a gear failure the previous night on a friend's lounge floor (not me or Vanessa, I might add)