​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forthie Water

Colin

My approved route takes me through Glenbervie and I wanted to get to Nether Pitforthie (then Milton of Barass and Catterline) without pounding along the A90.

But I take your point entirely and I certainly wouldn't want to cross a growing crop field. Street view seemed to show the vestiges of a field boundary but again how old is the photography.

The other alternates 1) a path north Meikle Fiddes can't be seen on aerial views and 2) a indicated path south of Gyratesmyre Farm seems to peter out before reaching Brenzieshill.

Street view doesn't offer any help in either case.

So it seems a 2 mile trudge along Gasoline Alley may well be necessary, but thank you for your comments.

Ray

Ray,

Apologies if my response struck you as a being critical. I've just re-read my mail and it comes over more strongly than I'd intended. I was in fact more concerned that you might meet with an unpleasant confrontation. Folk in this part of the world tend to be unused to casual walkers and I'd hate you to meet with an irate farmer as you emerged from their fields! I take your point about the field boundary but I've been in situations in the past where the farmer failed to grasp that distinction. In my view, mapped paths in the eastern plains are only worth following if they're clear on the ground - otherwise they tend to lead you into problems of one sort or another. Better to simply accept the tarmac penance.

I think however that you could still avoid the A90. Why not take the track which leads from NO792811 to Meikle Fiddes farm. This does no harm and no-one would have any good reason to object. A simple crossing of the trunk road would then put you back on track.

Hope that helps.

Colin

Colin

No apology necessary, I didn't consider the reply critical.

The dichotomy of maps is that they are out-of-date the day they are printed. We have all experienced paths that are on the map not being visible and paths which clearly visible not being on maps.

To use a well known phrase the only reliable way is "boots on the ground".

I can imagine the reception I would get as a "Sassenach" being met by a Scottish Farmer who has witnessed my size 10 boots trampling down his crop. Challenge Control would be going berserk trying find out which well I had "fallen" down.

But seriously despite having a freedom to roam we have to be respectful of peoples livelihoods.

Thanks for the tip about NO792811. I was so intent to trying to find the path I had missed the obvious i.e. the farm track down to A90.

See you in Montrose.

Map updating takes time. Fields near me were surveyed well over a year ago and the new buildings and new (electric!) fences haven't appeared on the OS Getamap page maps yet. The surveyor definitely knew about the fences, because he put his hand on one while his other hand was holding a metal pole planted in a puddle.

Pity you didn't have a camera pointing at that surveyor, Marion! Would have made the fence very memorable.

I recall once being followed at ever-increasing speed by a large herd of young cattle, and just beating them to a (mercifully low-ish) electric fence. Didn't know I still had such effective high-kicks in me at my age.