​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FWA the Lairig ghru

To be honest I had a bit of arguing this one with John but the vetting team are correct to ask for a FWA as Fords of Avon are deadly in spate. John and the team are doing you a favour to have a safe FWA. Listen to them.

Choice is to go into Glen Avon, then to Glen Builg and over say the Bealach Dearg to Invercauld Bridge. From there onwards to Braemar. Or its the Feshie and Geldie burn route and you can instead stay at Ruigh aiteachain Bothy for a great night anyway to make up for missing Corrour.

Good luck with the planning and Challenge.

Dont forget the call if its bad and you need to opt for your FWA is yours on the start of the Cairngorms, and let John and the team know your choice.

Thanks very much for the help Martin, very much appreciated am going to look at your suggested route now .This is my first challenge and I really do appreciate all the hard work done by the vetters to keep novices like me safe ,and the help and advice from the rest of the challenge community.
I think I misunderstood the rules for FWA's, I thought a fwa for say from Aviemore to Corrour bothy was just that, a different route between the same two points and didn't realise I could do a three day FWA between Aviemore and Braemar. Well back to routebuddy now and more waypoint flags, thanks again ....Martin

Having done the Ghru several times and stayed at Corrour Bothy, I can heartily recommend Glen Feshie and RA bothy- the Glen is stunning!! Last years challenge was my first trip to Feshie and I cannot wait to go back- the bothy too is splendid and is more than a worthy stand-in for Corrour!

Good luck- I will be applying again as soon as I've paid off my wife for the 2 weeks holidays she had to use to look after the kids- might be a while right enough ;)

Glen Avon to Ballater is a good route - Ballater is a very sociable place to visit - then over Mount Keen to Tarfside would be good for a first timer. NB beware camping outside Ryvoan Bothy, the lecking grouse may keep you awake.