​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why attack the Challenge

I have to say, he is a prolific opinionated **** isn't he.
Doesn't really like debate though.
Just likes his own opinion.
He should go into politics.

Now, now, girls, calm down. As my auld granny used to say "it takes aw types"- and she was on the very first Challenge. Not everyone sees the point of the Challenge, even some who have done it. Which, of course, is all good; just think of the standby list if the event appealed to the lesser sort. Anyone is welcome to walk across Scotland at any time-and the advantage is that your supply of Islay Peatmagic goes further when you have no friends.

Having said all that.
His Blog post is always extremely good, and I enjoy reading it.
It is also full of some fantastic photos.
Much that I admire
So if he could just stop with the sniping eh!

Football Sandy...Don't get me started, they should have Equity cards!!!

Andrew Walker
Having said all that.
Much that I admire

It's the first time I've looked at his blog (he must be laughing tears into his couscous at the sudden spike in visitors!) and have really enjoyed what I've seen. For all his digs at the TGOC, he's practically the epitome of a generic Challenger!* He even has his own tedious, gear-obsessed blog to wade through… My guess is his off-shore work is what's prevented him from taking part thus far… he'll deny it of course!
Russ Manion

Steady on Stormin, he might be English as if that matters, but he aint typical !! any more than any of us are 'typical'

… which brings to mind the line in the movie "Yes, we're all different!"
* No offence folks, no offence…!

Andrew Walker
Having said all that.
Much that I admire
So if he could just stop with the sniping eh!

I'm glad you said that, Andrew, as I really enjoy reading Tracksterman's blog. Yes, he seems to have a negative view of the Challenge but some of his criticisms do make me think. For example, the (in my view) excessive use of food parcels has always seemed a little strange to me. And I hope I will follow his example of always carrying other people's rubbish out of bothies.

I'd love to have the time to enjoy the long bothy and camping trips that he blogs about but, unfortunately for me, time is limited so the Challenge gives me a good compromise of solitude, wilderness and occasional company.

"For example, the (in my view) excessive use of food parcels has always seemed a little strange to me."

I guess it depends on where your route takes you, how much money you have available for the trip, how much weight you're happy carrying, and what your dietary requirements are, and whether you are good friends with Ray Mears or Bear Grylls!!

I guess everyone approaches the trip in different ways ..... and that's one of the things I find interesting when chatting to people about it! I love the variety....,

Hope to catch up with you en route

What if ... the shop is closed/doesn't exist anymore/is out of stock/doesn't have what I need, etc.,etc..
Sending a parcel may make the trip less adventureous but possibly safer. Ahum, my parcels didn't arrive at all or not in time last year. (I suspect a conspiracy of Scottish shopkeepers )

Theo

In defence of parcels, Scott used them.

Although come to think of it, that didn't end well

Andrew W
In defence of parcels, Scott used them.

Although come to think of it, that didn't end well

Er, yes, but he couldn't exactly nip to the Co-op and see what they had.

Stormin'
Pete Jones is just your typical Englishman, having to put up with endless and
remorseless "digs" as to his alliegence whilst working on the "rigs".His workmates often being from North of the Border have obviously tickled a nerve
somewhere, because he had to cycle all the way to Outer Mongolia to get away from it all. It obviously didn't do the trick because he came home and chopped his Henry Shires Tarptent Moment into bits.

Steady on Stormin, he might be English as if that matters, but he aint typical !! any more than any of us are 'typical'

Does it really matter what non supporters of the TGOC say.

Not everybody wants to do it.

I don't like watching football but I am quite happy for others to do it as it makes more room in the outdoors.

Live and let live.

Met the man last easter in a bothy in the North West- he spent a day going to the town for a shower & to buy coal and wood - we took an axe & collected 4 rucksacks of fallen wood for free! he was also the guy whose rucksack fell off the bus & got runover - whoops.... But would agree he can think what he wants & wander alone. Good luck to all you challengers this year - I'm sitting out - needed at home for exam support....

My Grandad took part in the first challenge in 1923. This was getting back home from the Red Lion after a huge win at the bookies. Three doors! Three doors! And he was carrying crisps and lemonade for the wife...

Tracksters, though - ideal for those with an impressive profile (if you catch my drift...) but he'd be ideal on the chally - grumpy, gear obsessed, self possessed, tight trousers.... he just needs to learn to booze a bit more. Somebody go and have a word with him to get him to apply (then put him on the reserve list at 193) arf..