​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Monar Lodge camping

Derek Hopkins
On TGOC 2012 we camped near the weir at NH221390 on a nice flat grassy bit near the river. Unfortunately that was in the 'Great Storm' and the river rose alarmingly in the night. We began to wish we'd camped higher up. Pat went out at 3a.m. into the rain and gale and reported that we were now on an island, but that the river still had 2ft or so to go before sweeping away the tent. We decided to stay put. In the morning the rain had eased and the river had dropped quite a bit.

Really? That's my worst fear when I'm camping near a river.... I don't think I would have slept at all that night! You must have been so relieved when it was morning! Sounds like you were lucky!

Thanks for all your help folks, I'm pretty sorted on this section now.

JJ

John.If I might suggest an alternative to your proposed route.This route I have walked four or five times in either direction.
It has the benefits of easier walking,fewer boggy stretches and numerous pitches too.The distance is much the same but this is faster alternative I have used through to Torridon, many times with slight diversions now and again.
Picking up from your route at NH 074 467 Head S along the FP.over Bealach Bhearnais down to the track junctions at NH 018 392. If it's bad a quick divert to Benronaig Lodge will find you shelter.However head E to Glen Luinaig S of Loch Monar.Sheiling at NH 062 383 offers a pitch. Carry on to Pait Lodge
NH122 397 , pitch possible at NH122 385 on past the small power station to
Inchvuilt NH229 386. Rejoin your route here to wherever. Navigation or route
finding is no problem,certainly no burn jumping. Cheers.