​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Airlie Memorial Tower: Availability of phone signal?

Oh, how frustrating. After being too far SOUTH to join your first C&W party, I shall pass within 2.5km of Airlie Tower then end up too far NORTH to join you for left-over Cheese and Wine in Montreathmont Forest.

Oh well, maybe next time?

Well, Dang my Britches and Drat your Buttons! I feel a little more effort is required here, Missy!

So close; it's just a small step away, a matter of a moment!

C'mon. You know you want to. Andy will be carrying beer...

Alan, quick question: are you planning to go through Montreathmont Forest, or sidle along it? Hein and I both found last year that it was difficult to get into from the west. I'd been warned off the entrance at NO553544 on the forum. I tried at NO554550 but it was a mess of clear-cut and I couldn't see the supposed east-west forestry track there. I went in at NO558555 but the track was blocked by windfall, several trees' worth, a few hundred metres in.

I ended up going around to the north on small roads, then in at NO589556, which was easy and pleasant walking and led to some appealing pitches.

Finally, on the topic of wine and cheeses: Barney and I found that on our original route plan, we passed Chalybeate Springs the morning after the first C&W so we adjusted our plans post-haste and are looking forward to joining the merry gang. We'll also be at the Airlie Memorial Tower, late on the 21st though. I imagine you'll be there a day earlier?

Cheers,
Jaya John

Jaya John

After a decent lunch at Finavon, helpful comments like this are gold dust to tired and emotional Challengers! The thought of clambering through fallen trees at the end of a longish day on the roads is just ghastly.

Thank you.

We're intending to be at the Airlie Memorial Tower on Tuesday 20th, so it looks like we'll miss you. A pity, as Andy would have gladly given up one of his beers that he will be carrying from Braemar as a reward for such helpful information!

And it's splendid news that you & Barney can make the Chalybeate Springs Soiree. It looks like it's going to be an excellent attendance!

I am thinking of buying the beers from the Pub in Finavon.

Hopefully something better than Budweiser.
Although we are talking Scottish beer.

Ive had 02 signal up there in the past. But that was about 3 years ago. The signal death zone starts about 500 yards before the monument but once you are up a bit higher at monument level, you shouldnt have any probs picking up enough signal for a call or message.

Thank you Stuart

Rather than mobile phones I thought we could take Carrier Pigeons. Then we can eat the ones with no signal.