​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Great British Kit Off

Phil Lambert
A very misleading title, Vicky!

Ha! But it made you look though, didn't it!

After three Challenges using similar packs (GoLite Breeze and a ZPacks Zero, both in the region of 50 litres, without frames or hipbelts) I've been considering digging out some of my old gear and using it again, which means a different rucksack given the relatively low weight carrying ability of frameless bags.

Like others here I've been using a spreadsheet to list things, making sure I don't forget anything obvious (as with one trip where I couldn't decide whether to take my insulated hood or a knitted cap and ended up forgetting both...) or throw in too many odds and ends that seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll be generally sticking to that list, which should stop me from adding unnecessary extras, but since I'll be using a larger rucksack I'm planning to give things like sleeping bag and down vest much more room so I don't have to compress them.

Unfortunately, unless I buy a new one the only other rucksack I have is a Macpac Cascade which holds rather more than 90 litres... and weighs over 2.6Kg more than the Zpacks... so I probably wouldn't recommend one of those

Oh yea. This one can run and run - winter is coming and a wonderful time to toast marshmallows and ruminate on kit.

So many of our discussions relate to shelters, so a thread on packs is of great interest. Thank you, Vicky!

For myself, for many years - starting in '96 - I used a Jack Wolfskin Verdun - I guess this was around 65litres, and truly well-made. Finally the duck-tape percentile was greater than the fabric - but this was a wonderfully engineered piece of kit. I moved through the Southern Upland Way, the West Highland Way, four TGO Challenges, the Spanish GR11, a side trip to Tierra del Fuego and a Canadian bimble without a problem. In my mind Jack Wolfskin is a seriously under-rated brand here in the UK. And deserves full consideration.

In the early 20's I used a couple of climbing-specific packs - which aren't relevant to this thread. These packs have particular characteristics. And whilst they may be cross-marketed to those of the TGO persuasion, they're simply not appropriate.

There is a world of difference between a pack suited for alpine/mixed-ground and one designed for extended trekking with relatively un-demanding technical conditions but extended multi-day use. Please understand that is in no way a critique of conditions faced by Challengers! Simply an attempt to recognise those packs that may suit the Challenge per se, and to focus on practicality.

Eight years ago I bought an Osprey Aether 75 - specifically for a four-week high-level stravaig in the Spanish Pyrennees, with few chances of re-supply. A mighty load-carrier, enhanced by the custom-molded hip-belt and choice of back-lengths. This pack can carry 20kg with ease. A terrific design, and one that fully understands that weight is carried on the hip rather than on the shoulders. A superb piece of engineering.

The TGO Challenge is, frankly, more benign. For the past five years I've used an Osprey Exos 46. To my mind this is a perfect pack for mid-May Scottish conditions. It's stable, it's well-engineered, it can take excess loads within reason, has plenty of options for attaching material outwith the pack per se, has hydration point(s) and is robust. I like the two zipped pockets on the hip-belt. I like the suspension system. I like the price. You know, I even like the colours . . .

To my mind a couple of hundred grams here and there is not important. What is important is how the pack carries. So, for example, a semi-framed 1.25kg pack can carry far better than a minimalist 750gm. The weight differential is not important - it's a small amount in the grand scheme of things. What is important is the stability of the pack over broken ground and the comfort and functionality over extended use.

There are many instances of minimalist packs designed for dry and stable west-coast US conditions. But, for ourselves, we may wish to engage with our dear Skandi brothers and sisters in Norway/Sweden/Finland. We have much in common. Their choices may well suit our condition.

Pack choice is probably the most personal of all. At the heel of the hunt this is the item that we carry upon our backs, and which may define our experience. And there no rights or wrongs - simply a discussion as to what we may feel works for us!

Taunton Leisure emailed me today with reduced price Osprey rucksacks - might be worth a look if you're thinking about buying one......

For myself I'm going to try a Lowe Alpine Nanon - it has more pockets than the Granite Gear one I used last time so I'm hoping it will be easier to get at the contents during the day without unpacking everything first......

I've been using an Aether 65 for a while.

It's very well made but each time I use it I find that I'm trying to convince myself that I'm happy with it. There's nothing WRONG with it, it's just not a very happy relationship.

I'll have a look-see at the 58l Exos....Father Christmas owes me a favour or two.

JJ