​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nev Tandy

I am desperately sorry to hear this and quite stunned. Nev and I (and our wives) go back a very long way to the 1960's when together we tackled many of the early LDWA-type events such as the Tanners Marathon, Ridegway Walk and Fellsman Hike even before LDWA was formed. Ever competitive we would run them and would also support each other on various record attempts on the Six Shropshire Summits, Across Wales, South Wales Mountain Marathon, Long Mynd Hike, etc.
On one memorable South Wales Mountain Marathon Nev wolfed down his 'demon energy food' at Cray Dam, about 30 miles into the 45 mile event. For at least five minutes he extolled the virtues of marmalade as a quick pick-me-up, prior to honking up the lot as we ran across the dam !
We were also regular climbing partners with West Bromwich Mountaineering club with many trips to their hut in Nant Gwynant, many epics in icy gullies and many thick heads after Nev had led the singing in the local.

Nev had spent half a career with Accles and Pollock in the Black Country metalbashing business before retraining as a woodwork teacher for his last fifteen years or so before retiring to the Isle of Man (his widow Ann is Manx) where he could also indulge his love of motorbikes. We stayed in touch after he moved and he encouraged me to become a Challenger myself.
Sincere and deep condolences to Ann, Bruce, Heather and wider family. I feel I have lost a very close friend.

Re: Nev Tandy

Taken from the West Bromwich Mountaineering Club's Facebook page:

There will be a service at Braddan Church, Isle of Man, IM4 4LB on Friday 13th December at 12.30, following at the Douglas Crematorium. Thereafter at the Creg-ny-baa pub, which is probably the most well known pub in the TT Circuit.
Family have requested that this is celebration of Nev's life and as such some colour would be appropriate and appreciated.
Family flowers only please. Donations if you wish, to a very worthwhile charity on the Island.

The picture was taken watching the Superbike Final during the 2009 TT, from Nev's front garden. Few pensioners would get excited about motorcycles passing 3ft from their kitchen window at 100mph+