​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tomdoun Hotel

Veeeeery interesting. I spoke to a lady in the estate agent's office a few weeks ago and she confirmed that it had been sold but couldn't say who it had been sold to, nor when it would be opening.

Would be grateful if anyone finding out more information would post it here for the benefit of all (okay, okay, after you've booked your own room if applicable!). Any updates from Challenge HQ will be included with the newsletter or the Final Details.

The following was posted on Scottishhills.com recently by "aangus". Can't vouch for how reliable it is but they are generally a helpful virtual community.

"Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:17 pm Post subject:
The hotel is now being cleared out and made ready for refurbishment work. They are aiming to have it at least partially open approx May 2014. Good luck to them, the new owners seem very friendly."

Sounds hopeful. Let's hope the refurbishment goes to plan and it re-opens on schedule. I have fond memories of Tomdoun in the past and with so many remote establishments shutting down it would be good to see this one revived.

Ali Ogden

I'll drink to that!

The decline in the place in recent years has been sad to see, infuriating even. The bunkhouse at the Tomdoun wasn't brilliant but it provided low cost accommodation...and you could nip into the hotel for beer & food. Sadly that was closed 8-9 years ago.

Fingers crossed that it works out for the new owners - and Challengers too of course.

JJ

The bunkhouse was fine it you were in the room with a fire. The one with no fire was just horrible ...

Still, it would be nice to se it working again though I do wonder whether that location can ever prove to be profitable enough :-(

About 6 of us crammed in to the bunkhouse in 2012 at the end of Stormy Sunday and very grateful we were too. I say crammed because a lot of the hotel's furniture had been stored in there, but it was open, had a roof, bit of a fire, you get the idea….

Andy

I spoke with an ex-colleague who lives in Glen Garry last week. He said the local rumours are that a sale has been agreed but there are legal difficulties in completing it because of various undocumented sales of bits of land around the hotel - no one is quite sure who owns what.

He would not predict when these might be resolved.

Hotel still closed and unsold as of the date of this message. I live a mile away and have heard all the rumours going. I do not see anything happening soon, and worry that it may never re-open as a hotel. I'll post again here if there is any interest in your hearing the rumours.