​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Getting to Glenelg as a start point

I started from Genelg last year.

I got off the Shiel Bridge bus at Glenshiel Lodge with a view to hitching to Glenelg. I started hitching - the first car that passed (a Scottish ex pat living in The Netherlands over here on holiday) stopped and took me to Glenelg.

Excellent.

Bernie.

Recommend you check the ferry is in service from Skye to Glenelg if you are taking that route. It was not the year I walked over from Kyle of Lochalsh making it a much tougher hitch to Glenelg.

Good tip. I will have to check with the Skye ferry folk carefully. There's a Dial-a-Taxi service from Shiel Bridge to Glenelg too although I think it's designed for the community, rather than recreational use. I've found a reference to a local bus that runs on Fridays from Shiel Bridge at 1205 (not weekends) - 01599 511384.

Its quite a nice walk from Shiel Bridge to Glenelg. I got three offers of lifts but manfully refused each one. I'm not sure why the other car didn't stop.

Would that be Hattie sherwood park campground?

Windy, if you go onto the Arnisdale and Glenelg community portal, and click on the spanglefish link on the home page, you get the macraekintail bus timetable for the bus I think you are referring to, which goes to Glenelg from Kyle via Shiel Bridge. Assuming you are travelling via Inverness, that gives you the option of the train to Kyle as well as the bus to Shiel Bridge.

If the times don't suit, don't be worried about asking about the community dial-a -ride. They're supported by taxes, so if you pay or have paid in the past, you're entitled unless told otherwise. Besides, for a lot of facilities on the west coast it's a question of use it or lose it, so you might be doing some good.

Alternatively, hitching is usually a good bet, as others have said.

We started from Glenelg in 2011 and stayed the Friday night with Mrs. Davidson (01599 522310) whose B&B was the sign out point and I expect will be in 2014.

Mrs. Davidson assued us she would be able to arrange transport for us from the bus a Sheil Bridge. We travelled by train to Fort William and caught the Glasgow Kyle bus from there getting to Sheil Bridge at about 8.30. Mrs Davidson met the bus but took another couple who were also staying with her.
I had been given the phone number for the local bus/taxi service and were met at Sheil bridge by a four wheel drive which followed Mrs Davidson's car and dropped us at her door. Cost of the four wheel drive £2.60 each i.e £5.20 for two, as the four wheel drive was acting as a bus. Sorry I cannot seem to find the number we phoned, perhaps john would know it.

Good luck it is a great start point.