​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deeside Way - Potarch

If you're planning to walk along the Deeside Way here are two bits of information.....

The maps don't seem to show the new tracks put in place after the Potarch bridge but they are there, well sign-posted and take you through rather lovely woodland to Banchory.

Sadly, you'll find the Potarch Hotel is now closed.

Re: Deeside Way - Potarch

I followed the Deeside Way a couple of years ago and I found it very easy to follow, even where the path left the railway line and wasn't on my map.
Its a good route for avoiding all those East Coast lanes, white van drivers and mad Mums on school runs, although I did get a bit tangled up with a robbery of a Chinese restaurant at the Aberdeen end.

As long as the toilet is still there everything will be fine!

Hmm, The grub obsessed Pieman from Crook has just admitted breaking into a fast food emporium. There may be Singapore noodles still nestling in that beard. Somebody brave, have a look.

I'm afraid it runs in the family, JD. My old granddad worked in a brewery and drowned in a huge vat of 3.8% session bitter. It took him seven hours to die. Mainly cos he kept getting out for a pee..

Deeside Way, though - brill path. Lots of lycra...

I would say 'signposted' rather than 'well-signposted' - as with all forests, it's easy to just keep going and find you're on the wrong track. You need to take a right near the end as you approach Banchory - the more logical straight on, ends in a bog.

Sorry to hear the Potarch is closed - fish and chips and Guinness where a godsend last year after a long day from Glen Muick.

Just walked it last Friday - no bog! Good track all the way.

Yes, it's fine so long as you don't miss the right turn that brings you into the Scolty car park.

I did and ended up flogging through a bog to get back onto the road.