​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acharacle???

I plan to start here but it is a helluva place to get to. The 12.21 West Highland train arr. Ft. William at 4.09 ....the only two buses to Acharacle leave at l.25 (to Kilchoan via Corran) and 3.20 (via Lochailort)

My only option other than to come up the previous day, is to stay on the train to Lochailort and then get a cab to Acharacle. Shiel Buses have quoted me £30 - £35 for this.

Is anyone else planning to start at Acharacle and will you be on this train? Can we share the cab? I have also asked Christine at the Loch Shiel Hotel if she knows of anyone locally who would do this run for less.

Look forward to any replies.

Barbara Peers, Liverpool.

PS WARNING!!

Steer clear of Chapel House Guest House at Montrose. They charged me £50 last year for a knee-banger of a room, the so-called Continental Breakfast arrived the previous night in a brown paper bag : an orange (no sharp knife), somewhat aged and cold croissant and some small pots of jam. In the room there was an old table on top of which was balanced a small fridge containing milk, bottle of orange juice and little pots of butter. I was expected to eat this disgusting meal sitting on my bed.

Re: Acharacle???

Hi Barbara,

Instead of the train why not take a bus from Buchanan Street bus station. I have done that in the past without too much hassle.

CTYE

I did the taxi option a few years agog nice way to arrive but cost £30 I think!

Barbara, you might not want to rely on this option but I hitch-hiked from the Corran ferry to Acharacle.

I'd been planning to get a bus but I think I must have been refering to an old timetable and the bus did not turn up. I tried thumbing a lift but that did not work. I sought advice in the hotel and they suggested I go back down to the ferry and ask the ferrymen if they would ask a local to give me a lift. (There were lots of visitors in the area as there was a motorbike rally on). The ferrymen soon persuaded the Acharacle dentist (a German) to take me.

Like I say, you might not want to have to rely on hitching but it's an option on the day if you get stuck.

Aaaaargh! The motor bike rally.......