​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Food Drop to Alltbeithe Hostel

Even before the Royal Mail cutbacks, there wasn't a postal service there so the warden had to carry in all his stuff. I suspect he wouldn't take too kindly to carrying someone else's food.

I think if you wanted to leave a food parcel there, you'd have to deliver it yourself.

I have been to Alltbeithe hostel . Iam amazed at the uncomplementary comments and lack of knowledge ( EASILY available)of this beautifull hostel. Do you deserve acceptance on this crossing even as a first timer who are given allowances ? ( i am only a six timer and did not ask these questions on my first ). Has the original thought lost its way ie Hamish . Just a thought !.

Thanks all for your comments. It looks like all roads lead to Cannich for resupply.

In theory I could lose 1kg of body weight before the trip and then carry an extra day's worth of food without doing more damage to my back.

On the otherhand I just calculated that at this rate I'll miss my dinner in Montrose. So I'll probably replan a less winding route and arrive there a day earlier ...

Hi Paul , Thats the idea be self relient as far as possible i lost 7 lbs on every crossing . i will go again when i can . enjoy .

Oh, Bill, don't start!

Hi Judith , Hope you agree with my responce . If you're a member of the Youth Hostels Assoc. i'm sure you will agree the Assoc. needs support .

Bill, your two comments (so far) in this thread have been contradictory - to me, at least. Yes, I agree that YHs should be supported. (I'm a Life Member of YHA(E&W)).

My comment hoped to put a swift end to any potential sniping at first timers, or at anyone who asks a reasonable question about something they were unsure about.

Maybe I misunderstood the tone of your first response.

Hi Judith , sniping was never my way . I question entrants understanding of the original ideas set down by " Hamish Brown " .

Judith
Oh, Bill, don't start!

There's always one Judith.
But I didn't understand it again.

Welcome to the Challenge- all first timers- Scotland's friendliest event.

Alltbeithe is a magical place; to support such places is part of the reason Hamish started the Challenge. But you do need to book these days.

As to Hamish's philosophy on hill-going? It's only a game for which you make up your own rules....

Walk your own walk, folks

Thank-you Val , much better put than my attempt ( with O.A.P. syndrome) .