​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crossing the river Meig

Rodger and Alan,

Sorry to butt in on Brian's thread.

Good pictures, but how deep is the water and was it still crossable after the rainfalls.

I am also going this way so that's why I have an interest.

TGO magazine had a recent feature on river-crossing techniques. And the MCOS has just produced an excellent DVD.

Click here to learn more

Or Click here for an extract from the DVD

Brian & Sandy

Yes - it was perfectly crossable.
(I didn't cross, as my route took me down the valley - but others certainly did cross it safely.) I would say it was about just over knee deep in the worst spots, but not running too fast.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my query. It was good to see photos of the river and the glen though it is hard to tell how deep the river is from them. Andrew W's route, with an earlier crossing of the Meig, seems a good walk over the Munro, but for me only with a day pack. An extra 500m of ascent with a back packing pack is a little too much.

Alan's description of "just over knee deep in the worst spots", but not running too fast" should be OK. Of course it will depend on how much rain there is but hopefully it will not go over my dry walkers, which is my preferred kit for fording rivers. If things are in spate we will just have to cross earlier, further up stream and fight our way down stream on the south bank.

I hope to see Sandy on the way.

Thanks everybody

Alan,
Thanks for the confirmation.

Brian, I will camping be in the vicinity of the pictures on the first Saturday of the challenge. Mine's the red tent.

Hope to see you, but if not, perhaps later.

Thanks Alan,

Should be OK if the weather is not too wet. I think we are due a dry Challenge for a change.

Hope to see Sandy but we are hoping to push on a bit further before we camp.

Thanks

brian