​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hostels

I believe the actual hostel closed a few years ago. I was told the Glen Affric Hotel were opening a bunkhouse, but the hotel was shut at the time when I passed through last year and I think it still is. There is a nice campsite with a good cafe in Cannich. There is a wonderful hostel at Bearnock, about 6 miles out of Cannich heading for Drumnadrochit, BCC Hostel. Happy planning!

At the time of last year's Challenge there were three or four "half-finished" bunkrooms available above the Glen Affric Pub, a few of us stayed there for £ 15 a night (for a single room). Those rooms should certainly be finished by now?

Maybe it would be best to phone the pub and ask?

I can certainly recommend the pub (good food, large portions, and the evening we were there there was also live music)

ness64

I can certainly recommend the pub (good food, large portions, and the evening we were there there was also live music)

I recommend this pub too, i had a nice welcome on the 2012 TGO, i remember saying i was hungry when i ordered my food, i wasnt when i left, and i needed a few beers to eat all my plate.

I agree with everyone about the excellent campsite and the great pub. Both places go out of their way to be welcoming and supportive.

I would avoid the Slaters Arms like the plague. You can find my take on it
HERE

www.glen-affric.co.uk certainly states that the hotel is closed. It does give a link to the old website that talks about the bunkhouse. When I went through May 2013, it was locked up and closed down. I don't think the bunkhouse ever got off the ground properly. Have to say, the Slaters Arms was okay, but at the time it was heaving down and I had no other option for somewhere to eat something and get warm and dry. I think Maria (or whatever the first timer drowned rat was called!) would agree.

The Slaters is the pits, the 'other' pub is the dog's wotsits: welcoming, decent food & beer, warm (a nice wood-burning stove in the bar)....I'll be there next year for sure.

JJ

I can concur with the pubs in Cannich, although the barman at the Slaters was fine with me.
And the campsite.
Jolly fine place the campsite.

My take is also here where there are pictures of the nice pub.

I agree that the campsite in Cannich is great - intending to go there again next May. I ate at the Slaters Arms last year, and had a lovely meal. Staff were fine, nice and friendly, didn't mind me leaving my muddy/wet stuff by the door and padding about in socks!