​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Links Hotel Montrose

I would recommend the Habitat Hostel as being very comfortable.

In Ballater the Alexandra Hotel - just by the bridge and a favourite Challenge haunt - is extremely reasonably priced, with management and staff who are humans of the very first water. They really go out of their way to provide service - as an example their website is localised into French, Dutch and German . . . Monster Respect!

Click here for their website

I know that they're fully booked for the Saturday, but you may have luck Sunday if you're coming that way from Braemar.

The Habitat Hostel is first-rate. And the Ballater campsite itself is one of the very best - terrific position by the river, excellent shower-blocks.

I've favoured Ballater over Braemar for a number of years - lovely warm ambience, plenty of shops and services. Including an optician! And a splendid old-style hardware store - my fiend had to make repairs to her tent-pole (don't even ask) this year, and they provided all necessary gubbins free of charge. Well, we did have to listen to an extended rant in Doric regarding the business rates, but no harm. Simultaneous Doric > Finnish translation was, alas, beyond me.

Ballater also has a splendid café where you can eat to yr heart's content with scran that goes way beyond eggz/beanz/chipz whilst recharging yr electronic gizmos - the café's attached to an outdoor store.

And if you're in the humour for a giggle you can buy Kate 'n' William cushions and diverse Lizzie Windsor mementos, heh heh.

Thanks Humph and Emma!

Thanks, Humph. Alexandra booked for Sunday. Indeed, all accommodation has been booked

Route sheet and admin form sent.

Ages until I can book train tickets

….and the bakers has the best Scotch Pies and some loverly pastries.

oooh. Excelllent for re-supply on Monday

And the Co-op in Ballater has a fine own-brand malt whisky, ideal for sharing with the drouthy wretches you may meet in nearby bothies. If visiting Tarfside, however, something more, er, expensive would be appropriate.