​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: STRUY

Have you considered a route further north than Struy? 2013 Torridon start found me passing Glen Orrin, Loch Ballach, Kilmorack, then to a lovely £20(!) B&B in Kiltarity before hitting the Great Glen Way. The Way takes you almost directly to Temple Pier without the dreaded road walk. Dropped my pack at the pier and headed into Drum for supplies before the evening boat ride.

Julie
Have you considered a route further north than Struy? 2013 Torridon start found me passing Glen Orrin, Loch Ballach, Kilmorack, then to a lovely £20(!) B&B in Kiltarity before hitting the Great Glen Way. The Way takes you almost directly to Temple Pier without the dreaded road walk. Dropped my pack at the pier and headed into Drum for supplies before the evening boat ride.

You may have just given me an idea for my 10th Julie.
That is destined to start from Torridon.
Mind you I need to get a place for this one first!

Hi
I went that way in 2012. I had intended to jump the fence at Mauld (see previous posts for problems with blocked access to the track) and make my way across to Loch Bruicheach via Loch a Mhuilinn and Loch Neaty. In fact the weather was very wild (first Sunday) and as I was on my own I decided to cut the amount of exposed stuff short, road walk to Eskadale, via Western Mains as you suggest, and then make my way south via various paths, tracks and road crossings to Loch Bruicheach. I wasn't heading for Drum but for the Clansman as I was planning to cross Loch Ness in a kayak, so Boblainy Forest, road walk via Ardendrain picking up Julie's route on the Kiltarlity to Abriachan road. It was a good route (albeit a little safe because of the conditions), although once I saw the waves on Loch Bruicheach I realised there would be no paddling across Loch Ness.

Incidentally, the Abriachan Eco Campsite and Cafe 1km NE of the junction ofthe GGW and Kiltarlity to Abriachan Road, ie 1km north of Loch Laide, is an experience not to be missed if you are in the area!

Vanessa