​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Scottish Hillwalking question

I have to agree with John, the Cobbler requires neither rope nor guide in benign conditions. Having said that, the whole scrambling thing is very much a subjective assessment and gradings are only useful once you know your level of competence and confidence. I recall on one occasion approaching the lower end of Sharp Edge on Blencathra to meet a gentleman who'd totally frozen and needed to be talked down onto level ground, with my hands guiding his boots to solid holds. To my eyes, the rock on which he was perched was unthreatening and at a very easy gradient but clearly he saw the situation very differently.

The Cobbler may look intimidating at first glance but becomes much less so on close inspection. Once through the "eye", a wide slab allows access to the short hop onto the summit pedestal; yes, it is quite exposed but you really would have to try fairly hard in order to fall off. All of that applies to dry summer conditions of course; in winter it becomes a good deal more serious and a rope would probably be very sensible.

Stac Pollaidh is the only other summit which might cause real issues. The final tower, though really not too hard, is sufficiently fierce to deter many folk from attempting it. On all other hills, any scrambly bits can usually be avoided.

Anyway, what are you concerned about - neither of these tops lie within the Challenge area!