​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interesting article.

I don't usually find myself agreeing with Jim Perrin's political views, but on this he is spot on. Excellent video.

However, there is one correction that should be made: The amount of energy a large wind turbine produces does in fact easily exceed the manufacturing and installation inputs.

However, what should be made very plain is that there are no savings of carbon dioxide in the lifetime of a wind farm built on peat soils. You can find out more about this by clicking

HERE

So the entire premise that wind energy is built upon - "saving the planet," as Jim would say - is not met, because most wind farms are built on peat soils.

Strangely, but not on my own, I have always found the Monadhliath to be the most wonderful and wild area of the Challenge. A joy to walk through of hidden gems.
Sadly, this is becoming harder and harder, and I fear now it is far too late. AS and his insane narrow minded cronies along with the morbidly Green's have pretty much destroyed them already.
Should I be lucky in the draw this time, I will visit them I hope once more.
Whether they are there for the next generation of Challenger's to savour, I very much doubt.
It is very sad that we destroy so much of our planet's natural beauty in the name of saving our planet's natural beauty.

I agree entirely with Ian's comments in that it makes no difference what party is in power all of them are pushing renewable energy projects as long as they do not impinge into their main supporter base. Recently a Conservative Peer suggested the unpopulated North East of England would be ideal for fracking, this was quickly amended to read North West. Now it seems we are to have fracking and long term nuclear storage in the same area! What problems this spells for future generations I dread to think. But then the current crop of politicians will not be around then so I don't suppose they will loose any sleep over it anyway.

Well put Andrew.

Without wishing to perpetuate what is becoming a mantra, I too 'discovered' the Monadhliath a few Challenges ago and I've have tried to include it in my crossings since then. Each and every traverse of the Monadhliath has been a delight. Even when the weather's been bloody awful.

It's almost certain to be on my TGOC2014 route.

I find the narrow-minded, short-sighted views spouted by those with political power to be maddeningly frustrating. Everyone is entitled to their views, but surely those who were voted into political power should (at least partially) represent the views of the constituents who voted them in.

I'm quite sure that plenty of folk in Scotland are in favour of windpower - and that's fair enough. On the other hand there's a sizeable proportion who are against it. Sadly we'll never know what that proportion is. If we listen to the politicians we'd be forgiven for believing that ALL those in Scotland want their fair land to be covered in wind turbines.

JJ

The more remote / further north we live, the easier it is to be crapped on by the powers-that-be. It's just what happens.

JJ

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of most of these messages.To me the
cutting up of the glens,and powering roads through what was a wild and
remote part of the Highlands is far more invasive.This has lead to the
area being "opened up" far more quickly than wind turbines.Where one
goes others will follow and exploit the opportunity .
Since my early Challenges in the eighties very little has changed in the
Monadliath except a few "deer shooter"tracks for vehicles. Rarely then would
one meet a walker other than on Challenge weeks, as even now.
I can remember similar articles ,radio programs regarding Transmission Towers (Pylons)in the sixties, which are now almost disregarded. But they arrived.
Make the best of what we have whilst we have it. Cheers

a gentle reminder to folks that the Scottish Highlands are not just a playground for outdoor enthusiast.People live and work here.

having said that, no, I don't want to see the rape of the Monadhliath- I'm looking at it as I write.

I agree with Val's comments that the highlands are not just a playground and people actually work in this area.
My main grump is more. To do with the subsidies that the land owners receive each your from the system to house these turbines. In the Scottish Field magazine (Sept issue) there is a good article which explains the fact that Scottish land owners bag over £1billion in subsidy. The article gives examples of the Duke of Roxburgh pocketing £1.5M per year for hosting 48 turbines.The Earl of Moray is estimated to receive £2M from 49 turbines at the Braes of Doune Stirling.
You will never hear the landowners refusing this kind of easy income whether the are in the south, central belt or north Scotland.
We are paying for these subsidies via our energy bills.

It's doubtful that the Scottish landowners receive £1bn because in 2012/13 the total UK Renewables subsidy amounted to £2bn.

It's more likely that Scottish Renewables receive that figure, and not the Landowners, although they do trouser an obscene amount to wreck the landscapes. Typically, landowners receive between £10k and £15k per turbine per year for large turbines.

For instance, Sir Jack Hayward will receive £9M over 25 years in rentals for the 33 turbines that make up Dumnaglass wind farm.

The really bad news is that wind turbines subsidies (thought by many to be reducing in scale) are more likely going to receive a boost after the Energy Bill is passed:

LINK

The proposals will see onshore wind having a strike price of £100/MWh, offshore wind £155/MWh, when the typical wholesale electricity price will be about £50/MWh

Wind power generated on the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland is to receive an additional £15/MWh. Expect to see a renewed rush of applications.

There is an excellent article in the Autumn edition of the John Muir Trust Journal on the threat to the Monadh Liath

LINK

See page 16.