​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laggan Locks

I have I read somewhere that it is possible to camp near laggan Locks on the Great Glen?

Re: Laggan Locks

Possibly, but why not take advantage of the excellent Great Glen Hostel? They will also provide an up to date map of the current route through the forest over to Glen Turret, if that is your intention.

The Eagle barge/pub at the locks is good for beer and seafood (pre-book for meals). You'll need a headtorch for the stagger back to the hostel as the path is very dark with the odd steep drop to the water.

The last time I was there the Eagle had an old yacht moored nearby as a floating bunkhouse (bit cramped by all reports, but v nautical and just a few steps away from the barge).

Personally, I'd go for the hostel, but then I'm a sucker for a comfy bed.

No map required Phil major road for the heavy waggons pushed though went that way last year just had to look out for the 8 wheeled tippers.
lot of trees bin felled in Coire ant-Sidhein you can see the line of the path on the left hand side it goes a fair way up the Coire hope this helps any one thinking of going that way

Thanks Keith. I am off there next week and might want this as an option. I guess this route is pretty obvious!

Yes Andy you can make out the line of the path on the left were it comes out from the tree`s if you go a little way north on the main track you may be able to find the start of the track there was a cast iron gate at one time but it is hard to fine in the tree`s

I second Phil's suggestion of using the Great Glen Hostel: comfy, welcoming and certainly inexpensive.

I seem to recall that a certain (currently hobbling) Challenger even managed to arrange for the owners to get some beer in for him....although the Eagle boat/pub thingy just down the road serves excellent ales and a mean egg & chips!

JJ

The Eagle Barge is a must if you like seafood.

The seafood fayre is to die for.

There's good beer too.

Oh, and headtorch is a must - I did it without, carrying a fair bit of food and lots of beer (inside ) It was not a good way to go.........

Also, you can stay on the eagle Barge I think.
And the beer thing at the hostel.
Lies ALL lies I tell you.
Never been there.
Never seen them.
Must have been someone that looked like me.
Bloody Doppelgangers everywhere nowadays.