​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routebuddy mapping offer for Challengers

I've noticed that Routebuddy are offering a pretty good deal on their digital mapping for Challengers this year:

They are offering the Challenge Area @ 1:50k for £19.99 but you can also add selected areas at the 1:25k scale into your bundle at very reasonable prices and then receive an additional discount on top to make the bundle more attractive.

The Routebuddy offer can be found HERE

I love using Routebuddy for planning my Challenge routes as it's incredibly easy to switch backwards and forwards between the "map view" and "aerial view," which makes planning off-piste routes much easier.

(I'm not sure that Andy Walker will agree with this, as this inevitably involves a lot more bog-hopping!)

To explain that a little better about the switching thing, I'll post a couple of screen-grabs below:

Anyway - there it is. I find their mapping system really user-friendly, and switching between views incredibly useful and easy to do.

Re: Routebuddy mapping offer for Challengers

And there was I thinking all that off piste bog hopping was because we were lost ... you mean you planned it, you sadistic f&*$!@!??

Don't those wind farm access roads show up splendidly on the aerial view, though?

Don't you go blaming me for the 2013 route, Young Man!

Walking north for the first five days through every bog possible was all down to the route-planner - You.

This year's route with Mr Walker (should he get his new knee) is quite novel, in that we are mostly heading.... East!
Oh. And then quite a bit south for a few days.

Whoops.

An interesting map this as it makes the most of Routebuddy's ability to stitch different maps on the same screen. You can print out these stitched maps as well which could be very useful to those of you who prefer to hike with loose pieces of paper.

I might be getting a review copy and if so will do some kind of video screen thingy for people to have a look at.

@ Alan

Walking north for the first five days through every bog possible was all down to the route-planner - You.

Indeed. Sweet revenge, served nicely chilled.

Good offer, but as far as I can see, not available for Android. So I will stick with Viewranger and Quo.
And I need no comments from Apple Fan Boys. Just sayin.....

You really need to see this in action.

I have produced a video review here:

http://www.andyhowell.info/trek-blog/2013/10/02/video-review-routebuddy-scottish-highlands-coast-to-coast-map/

Some people have had problems with this. Here is a version on You Tube:

http://youtu.be/tE3kXLZoTXI

And a version of Vimeo (slightly better quality)

http://vimeo.com/75961298