​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Firing up your imaginations

Hi there,

I´m just back from a magic backpacking trip in the Northwest Highlands. Have devised a two weeks long distance-route across the dramatic mountain scenery of Wester Ross. Starting and finishing at Inverness. It´s a cracker of a route which follows for the most part established paths and takes in some magnificent coastal scenery between Torridon and Gairloch. In tribute to this stunningly beautiful part of Scotland I called my route the WESTER ROSS TRAIL. There´s the Cape Wrath Trail, the Sutherland Trail, the Skye Trail, the West Highland Way ... Wester Ross should also have its stairway to heaven.

Have uploaded a set of my best Pictures to Picasa. Feel free to surf around and to take a look. Here´s the link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113201772120727361623/albums/5924892331196561713

There is an arrow symbol on the right providing the option Diashow. Hope it works.

For those anti-windfarm activists among you. There´s a new windfarm in operation near Corrimony. Sadens my soul ...

Enjoy and good luck in the draw!

Markus

Re: Firing up your imaginations

Very nice, Marcus. Some cracking campsites. Any chance of a few more clues as to where you actually went? I could see you got from Inverness to Tomich in two days, presumably along the GGW to Drumnadrochit. Or is that information available somewhere already and I have just missed it - I couldn't find the "diashow" you mentioned.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Pleased to know that you like my set of pictures. There should be an arrow icon at the top on the right. Hope it works.

Did find indeed some cracking campsites along my route. My wild camp near Redpoint was as close to paradise as possible. The views over the sea to Applecross, Skye and Raasay were to die for.

At the moment there´s no further information about the Wester Ross Trail available. It´s my brainchild which I´m keen to promote.

Here´s a rough overview of my walked route:

Day 1: Inverness - GGW - Drumnadrochit

Day 2: Drumnadrochit - on forest tracks through Glen Urquhart - Shenval - Corrimony - River Enrick

Day 3: River Enrick - Tomich - LRT to Loch Beinn a´Mheadhoin - Loch Affric -
Alltbeithe - Camban Bothy (my intended route was via Gleann a´Choillich - Loch Mhoicean - Maol-bhuidhe - Loch Calavie - Bendronaig L. - Strathcarron, had to drop my plans in face of bad weather)

Day 4: Camban - Gleann Lichd - Morvich - A 87 - Keppoch - Dornie

Day 5: Dornie - Sallachy - Nonach - Glen Ling - Attadale - Strathcarron

Day 6: Strathcarron - Coulags - Coire Fionnaraich Bothy - Bealach a´Choire Ghairbh - Loch an Eoin

Day 7: Loch an Eoin - Annat - Torridon - Rechullin - Inveralligin - Diabaig - Craig - wild camp at NG 758656

Day 8: Chilling out

Day 9: Redpoint - South Erradale - Loch Clair - Shieldaig - Kerrysdale - A 832 to Slattadale - Tollie Path - Poolewe

Day 10: Poolewe - Kernsary - Carnmore - Lochan Feith Mhic´-illean - Gleann na Muice Beag

Day 11: Gleann na Muice Beag - Shenavall - Achneigie - Loch an Nid - Lochivraon - Loch a´Bhraoin - wild camp near Boathouse

Day 12: Loch a´Bhraoin - A 832 - Braemore Junction (had to bail out as I was running out of time)

From Loch a´Bhraoin my intended route runs to Loch Fannich - Abhainn a´Chadha Bhuidhe - Moine Mhor - Strathbran Plantation - Chaiseachain - Badinluchie - LRT to Milton - Loch Meig - Loch Achonachie - Aultgowrie - Muir of Ord - Tarradale - Milton - North Kessock - Inverness.

Markus

Markus,

Absolutely stonking pictures of the Ryanair 737-800.......- have you tried offering them to Michael O'Leary in exchange for the free use of the loo or even a seat which would be much nore comfortable than standing when on your next Ryanair flight????

cj

Colin,

Actually I had my first exciting encounter with Ryanair. I can report there were no extra charges for the cabin air and the advertising magazines :)

Will apply for TGO 2014 so look forward to meeting up with you again.

Cy

Markus

Yep.
Cracker of a route that Markus.
And some stunning views.

Now are you going to write it all up somewhere?

Hi Andrew,

Good to know that you like my Wester Ross route. It´s a backpacker´s dream and when it comes to scenery is even up to the Cape Wrath Trail. It´s even suitable for thirsty throats. You never know :)

I´m planning a write up in German English. Hoping Mr. Banfield assists. Or Gaelic :)

Markus