​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A different Challenge

Hi William
You say you can get to Inverness. Airport or Town?
If town then there is a rail link to Wick and Thurso which would both be within biking distance of the start. I would imagine that it is possible to get on the train with a bike at the quieter times of day.

Alternatively hire a van and look for a pal to drive the return trip to Inverness.

Where were you looking for a location to rebuild the bike. John O Groats, Inverness, Glasgow.

Colin

William - if your trip is is after The Challenge dates I'd be happy to drive you up from Inverness to your start-point. I can't do dates prior to The Challenge, but anything after May 25 is cool. Usual terms and conditions apply - ie a beer or two! Contact me through my email off-board if this is to yr liking.

William, If your trip goes ahead and post Challenge 2014 I am happy to give you a pit stop before your final leg to Lands End. I am 10 miles from the A30 so you are more than welcome to stay. I can also help with border control from England through to Cornwall. Regards and good planning Barry

Hi William

You can take a bike on the Scotrail train from Inverness to Wick/Thurso provided you get a reservation in advance:

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Connections_Guide_May_2012.pdf

Alternatively, can I suggest the much more scenic west coast start point of Cape Wrath/Durness? You can get the bike bus from Inverness to Durness, although I'm not sure if you're allowed to take a bike on the ferry from Durness across the Kyle to get to Cape Wrath. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find out. Bike bus information here:

http://www.inverness-durness-highland-bike-bus.co.uk/

Email me off board if you want any more info or any help in the north. I live on the west coast near Lochinver.

Vanessa

Thanks very much for all the help that has been offered for this trip. I am planning to do it in June or early July 2014.

I have started to train and hopefully by then I will be fit enough to take on the 14 to 16 days. I will keep you updated as the plans are confirmed.

Thanks again

William

For an off the wall solution, have you thought to buy a bike from the shop in Thurso ? (I have no connection with this establishment)
Yes you would end up with a bike that you are not used to but a few days in the saddle would soon cure that.