​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary Brook

It is with great sadness that we bring you the news of the death of Mary Brook. She was knocked off her bike and killed this morning whilst cycling from her home in Balnain, Glen Urquhart to her work in Drumnadrochit.

Mary had completed 3 challenges, the first in 2005 with her friend Val Hadden then again with Val in 2009 and lastly as a solo in the stormy year of 2011.
Some challengers may also remember Mary from this year when she had a sign at her road end in Balnain offering tea and cakes, which several people welcomed.

Mary was midway through walking the length of Scotland (North-South) in sections, to celebrate her 60th year, and had made it to Aberfeldy, from where she was due to start the next section on Wednesday 23rd July.

A terrible tragedy to a dear friend of many and will be forever in our thoughts .

Graeme & Marion Dunsire

Re: Mary Brook

What a dreadful thing to happen. I didn't know Mary but, being a challenger, she was one of the "extended family". How very very sad and what a waste. Our condolences to her family and friends.

So sorry to hear about Mary. The warm welcome I received from her was one of the highlights of the Challenge.

Very sorry to hear this about such a lovely lively lady. This year Emma and I were approaching Balnain cross-country over the fields when a black Labrador bounded towards us, followed by a call "Are you Challengers ?".
We expected to be admonished for trespass by a landowner but instead were warmly welcomed and invited in, muddy boots and all, plied with tea and some of the finest ginger cake I've ever had. Mary had put a 'Challengers welcome' sign at the lane end but we'd come by a different route
Mary's open house was indeed a highlight of the day.
My condolences to her family and close friends.

This is a terrible sadness. Peace and understanding to Mary's family and friends. Mary was - and how finite it is to speak in the past tense so soon - a tireless community activist, a Challenger, and a joyous spirit.

This is such sad news. It was a privilege to be welcomed into Mary’s home with such warmth. To me, she is a star who still shines.
My sincere condolences to her friends and family.

Shocked and filled with sadness.
We will remember the warm welcome of a warm and welcoming woman.

Our sincere condolences to her friends and family.

Willem & Marianne

what a terrible tragedy - it was a lovely highlight to my day stopping & having tea & cake at her house. Such happenings are hard to comprehend

Many thanks for your kind words and sentiments.

Marys funeral takes place on Friday 16th August 2013. There will be a private burial for the family followed by a church service which will commence at 1pm for those that wish to attend. The service will be at Christ's Church, Smannell, Andover, SP11 6JH.

Thanks again.